Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

July 2nd, 2014 20:00

ESXi host snapshosts breaking network

We have Cisco UCS 5108 chassis full of B200 M3 blades. We installed Vmware on each blade and each blade has unique MAC and unique IP. MAC inside vmware matches the mac inside UCS manager for each particular blade.

The problem is if i power one server i can ping it and connect to it. When i power 2nd server and it comes online, i can't ping 1st server anymore. If i power on 3rd server i can ping it but then i can't ping server1 or server2. If clean OS (without snapshot disk) is installed on a blade network is not breaking. Problem looks to be isolated to the xbrick and this central snapshotting. So there is a central (default) vmware installation and there are X number of snapshots that are presented to the blade server. Once blade boots i only need to configure network settings and i am done. For some reason that setup is breaking network on blades so maybe there is some trick we need to do? We have 2 X-brick units in cluster.

727 Posts

July 2nd, 2014 20:00

You probably need to re-signature the snapshot volumes before presenting them to the host. This forum is likely not the correct place to triage an issue like this. Do you have a case open with EMC Support?

July 2nd, 2014 21:00

Have you checked the MAC addresses within the individual servers when they are powered on?

Are they different?

28 Posts

July 2nd, 2014 22:00

MACs and IPs are unique. Each snapshot is mapped to it's own initiator group, blades aren't using same snapshots if that's what you think . The configuration looks OK from the Xbrick and UCS perspective so i am thinking when initial default installation of ESXi was made something wasn't set before taking snapshots and that is causing the issue. EMC support would help since this really isn't storage issue, it's more of configuration problem?

727 Posts

July 3rd, 2014 11:00

Right - but EMC Support can help confirm that this is NOT a storage problem (which I am guessing, it is not).

No Events found!