Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2008 14:00

Migration Info regarding Open Replicator and Open Migrator

Hi

We are planning to do migrations for the storages in our environment using Open Replicator and Open Migrator. We are migrating data from CX500, CX700 to CX3-20,CX3-80 and DMX3000. We have nearly 50 to 75 servers (Windows,AIX,HP_UX and Solaris and VM Ware) connected to these storages. Can anyone let me know whether can we migrate data from cx series to cx3 series using open replicator or else do we need to use SAN Copy or Open Migrator? What arrays does Open Replicator support. Does anyone have any documents. Also, can any one let me the best procedure to do these migrations.

Thanks in advance

385 Posts

August 29th, 2008 05:00

I'm certain Open Replicator supports all of the arrays listed (you may need to bump code levels if they are REALLY old) so supportability should not be an issue.

If you go under Documentation you should be able to find plenty of Open Replicator documentation or at least search and find white papers discussing how it works.

Selecting the tool comes down to the following factors (in my opinion):

1) Tolerance to outage time (can the host be down for 2 hours to migrate?
2) Tools available (do you own any of these tools today) - $$$
3) Comfort level using tools (if you are not using Professional Services)

We went through a similar migration (few more hosts but similar mix) and used Open Replicator for a majority of the environments. The one downside in our view with Open Migrator is that you ended-up having to install something on each host which required reboots to install/uninstall.

With Open Replicator you sustain a slightly longer outage to get the copies rolling, but for the most part it is transparent to the host. For your UNIX hosts your paths will change, but a simple remove/rebuild device operation and/or export/import operations on your volume groups should do the trick. Your Windows and VM host should be fat, dumb and happy.

The big downside with Open Replicator is there is a lot of legwork to get all of the correct device mappings setup and going.

Hope this at least gives you a good start. I could attach some whitepapers for Open Replicator if you are unable to find any.

50 Posts

August 29th, 2008 06:00

Thank You very much. I appreciate if you can send me some white papers :)

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 2nd, 2008 11:00

A couple of points that need to be clarified:

Open Replicator is for migration to or from a DMX. You will not be able to migrate between two Clariion arrays.

With Open Migrator, there is no reboot required with Unix. With Windows, there is no reboot at install. You MAY need to reboot in order to get the filter driver to attach to the source and target volumes. You WILL need to reboot after the migration is finished.

28 Posts

September 12th, 2008 10:00

You can refer to the elab navigator which will give you the exact compatibility info...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 3rd, 2009 08:00

Hi,

Could anyone suggest if there are other courses on E-Learning pertaining to Open Migrator or in other areas/portals.

As I have found the following:
Open Migrator/LM for Unix/Linux - IMPACT
Open Migrator for Windows Overview - IMPACT
EMC Open Migrator/LM for UNIX 3.7
Open Migrator/LM v3.9 Train-the-Trainer Recorded Centra

Tx in advance,
Jerez

January 31st, 2017 04:00

Open replicator supports wide range of storage arrays including third party vendor but the control will be always with VMAX (Symmetrix ) arrays so it will not fit for your setup .so you can use SAN copy to migrate data between Clariion's where open migrator is host based migration tool .

No Events found!