Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

February 6th, 2015 07:00

Amount of in-use space...

Have a PS 6500 that is giving me the error message above and i ran the UNMAP command from the CLI and even after that the message is still there.  Is there something else that needs done or is there still an issue.  Any help or comments are welcome.  Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 6th, 2015 08:00

Hello,

Need the full message, and some more info.  You could just be exceeding the warning threshold for that volume and you can modify when that alert is generated.

Is the volume you tried to unmap replicated?   If so, then UNMAP doesn't work.

Which CLI and what "unmap" command did you use?

What filesystem are you using?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 6th, 2015 09:00

Hello,

unless you DISABLE replication or remove the replication configuration for that volume entirely, UNMAP won't work.  Just pausing it is not enough.  Doing either requires a complete re-replication of that volume.

Also VMFS has to be natively VMFS v5.x.  If you upgraded from VMFS v3 to v5,  VMware doesn't support UNMAP in that case.

If you have not oversubscribed the pool, I would suggest you increase the warning threshold, or if you are not saving very much space, I would suggest you convert the volume to "classic" instead of Thin provisioned.  This can be done live wo a problem.

Snapshots can also prevent the free space from being returned to the pool.

40 Posts

February 6th, 2015 09:00

Amount of in-user volume space exceeded the warning limit is the message. The volume is relicated but i turned replication off prior to the UNMAP. We are running VMFS

40 Posts

February 6th, 2015 11:00

Got it.  Question for you.  If i break the replication for that volume am i going to have to re-seed that volume once i put it back?  I hate to have to retransmit all that data again.  

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 6th, 2015 11:00

That's correct,  if you break replication, as in disable it, then you will have to start from scratch on the next replication.  

No Events found!