Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

April 5th, 2017 05:00

Can't register VASA provider (DELL VSM)

When i try to register VASA provider in Dell VSM I get this error message:

Waiting 90 seconds for VMware vCenter to register with the VASA Provider...
VMware vCenter is unreachable, re-execute this command when it is reachable
VMware vCenter registration with VASA Provider failed (see setup.sh-1491390295.log)!
press [enter] to continue...

The log shows.

SLF4J: Class path contains multiple SLF4J bindings.
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/usr/local/asmve/webapps/ROOT.war/WEB-INF/lib/slf4j-log4j12-1.6.0.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/usr/local/asmve/webapps/vasa1.war/WEB-INF/lib/slf4j-log4j12-1.6.6.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: See www.slf4j.org/codes.html for an explanation.
com.equallogic.hitve.shared.exceptions.VMWareException: Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.
at com.equallogic.hitve.server.rmi.VMWareSession. (VMWareSession.java:334)
at com.equallogic.hitve.server.rmi.VMWareSession.createSession(VMWareSession.java:179)
at com.equallogic.hitve.server.rmi.VMWareSession.createSession(VMWareSession.java:174)
at com.equallogic.hitve.server.utils.ApplianceUtils.getOVFConfiguredSession(ApplianceUtils.java:152)
at ConfigureAppliance.registerVasaProvider(ConfigureAppliance.java:749)
at ConfigureAppliance.main(ConfigureAppliance.java:334)

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 5th, 2017 09:00

Hello, 

The first thing I notice is login error on bad username/password

"Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password."

I would make sure the username you are using has sufficient privileges and the complete username and password are correct. 

Regards, 

Don 

15 Posts

April 6th, 2017 05:00

Hello, thank you for your reply!

If I follow the installation guide and start VSM for the first time it says I should  choose Configuration / register VMwarevSphere Storage APIs for storage awereness. When I choose "register.." I'm being asked for user and password and then confirm password. As I understand I can type any username and password because this is the credentials vCenter uses to connect to VSM, if not, what credentials should I use? 

I've also tried root with pass eql but I get the same error message

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 6th, 2017 07:00

Hello, 

You have to use a username / password that exists ON the vCenter server.  Once that has admin privileges.   I.e. the Administrator account. 

Regards, 

Don 

15 Posts

April 6th, 2017 08:00

I've tried with local admin and domain admin but it doesnt work. 

What about this "VMware vCenter is unreachable, re-execute this command when it is reachable", where can I verify the address to vCenter in VSM

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 6th, 2017 10:00

Hello, 

I believe that error "unreachable" could be do to the failed login.  

Re: address When you installed VSM you had to provide it with that info.  Is the VSM on the same subnet as the vCenter server?   It needs to be able to reach both the vCenter server and the management address on the array.  So you might need to add another NIC to the VSM appliance in order to access both. 

Also make sure in the vCenter server properties that you have set the Management IP address.  The install manual has more info on this. 

You also might want to consider opening up a support case.  This would allow direct access to your setup via WebEx.  

Regards,

Don 

15 Posts

April 7th, 2017 06:00

Hello, 

When I install VSM 4.6 I dont get to set vCenter-address, I think it's in the earlier editions (3.x) you get that option. The vCenter-server is on the same subnet and all addresses has been check a thousands times. I think I have to open a case and I'll post the solution if they find any :)

Thanks you Don!

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

April 7th, 2017 08:00

During installation of the VSM OVF the VM is connected to the local vCenter by the VMware API. To get this working you have to be sure that the "vCenter Server Management IP" is present. Its empty by default when you install your vCenter. So go Adminstration->vCenter Server Settings->Runtime Settings in the old C# Cliennt.  Its also somewhere in the WebClient (its  there were you choose Statistics Level and SMTP address and so on)

Other things which may goes wrong:

- Specials Chars in the password which you cant see when typing the passwd blind
- On very aged vCenter which are updates the STS Certificates arent refreshed and you can connect with the VASA provider

Regards
Joerg

15 Posts

April 10th, 2017 00:00

Hello, the vCenter server IP and the password is correct and vCenter is updated to the latest version. When I delpoy VSM I get the green checkmark that says something like "vCenter service registered successful"

I'm able to manually register a storage provider from the web client but then I dont get the Dell plug-in

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 10th, 2017 05:00

Close all the browser windows.   Then try logging in again.  I have seen cases where logging in several times was required to get the pop up to show in the WebGUI. 

Regards,

Don 

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

April 10th, 2017 05:00

To make the plugin visible within the Webclient you have to restart the Webclient which means the serverpart and not the browser. IIRC this is written in in the installation manual.

Its not necessary to reboot the complete VCSA..... login through SSH and try a "/etc/init.d/vsphere-client restart" Not sure about 6.5 but for 6.0 it was right.

Regards
Joerg

No Events found!