Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

2 Posts

July 16th, 2018 06:00

Equal Logic PS6510 Service tag

I recently bought a brand new old stock PS6510.  It came in its original packaging, sealed with all manuals and documents.  The service tag and the serial number on the label attached to the chassis match the service tag and serial number in the firmware, but I am unable to register the product with Dell because it says that the serial number is not recognized and the service tag is registered to a Dell Inspiron in Brazil.

As a result, I can't register the device, can't get firmware updates and am stuck with something that is an expensive boat anchor.

If anybody has any insight into where I go from here, I would be very grateful to hear.

Chris 

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

July 17th, 2018 10:00

Hello Chris,

If not purchased through a Dell authorized reseller there isn't much I can suggest.

Have you tried searching the service tag number on support.dell.com?

Strange that it would point to a laptop.

But without a new unit warranty or service contract firmware updates, etc are not available.  The license to use the device and firmware is maintained in the warranty and contract not the H/W itself.

The 65x0 series is no longer made nor sold.  

Regards,

Don

July 17th, 2018 23:00

Thanks for your response

The service tag on support.dell.com reports as an Insprion in Brazil.

Even though it is no longer made, it is effectively a new unit and should be eligible for the new unit warranty.  There is a problem with the service tag and without a service tag, there is no way to contact Dell to register it as a new unit.  There is not any support procedure that does not require the validation of a service tag first.

This is not encouraging me to buy Dell products in the future.

Thanks again

Chris

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

July 18th, 2018 04:00

Hi Chris,

I can totally understand your frustration.  

Re: Warranty that might be true if sold from an Authorized Dell Reseller.  Which doesn't sound like is the case here? 

No dealers have new 6510 since they haven't been made in a few years.

Did the seller claim that it was supportable by Dell?   You may have recourse with them.

Regards,

Don

No Events found!