Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 30th, 2017 10:00

EqualLogic PS 4100 with Flashing Drive

We have an PS 4100 with a failed drive.  We have it configured to RAID6

I have a spare drive and was wondering if pull the failed drive out and replace it with the new drive, how much of an impact will it be on users VMs that are running?

Should we migrate VMs to local ESXi storage first ?

thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 30th, 2017 11:00

Hello, 

The firmware is on http://eqlsupport.dell.com/.   You'll need a username/password to download the files.  

Also you will have to incrementally upgrade EQL firmware in order to get to the current revision.  The steps depend on what fimware you are using now. 

In the GUI, if you select the member->controller tab  It will show you the EQL firmware.  At the Group CLI you can also run GrpName>show member 

Regards,

Don 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 30th, 2017 10:00

Hello, 

Much depends on what the EQL FW is, the load on the array and speed, size of the disks.  But as a general rule, no there's no need to move VMs off the SAN.  If no one is complaining now then the rebuild won't likely make it much worse. 

Regards,

Don 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello, 

Understood, however since you have a failed drive, you are in a degraded state, which means data on that drive has to be reconstructed on the fly which impacts performance as well.  

Re: Firmware.  That would be something I would address once the rebuild finishes. There are MANY fixes since then.  Including in how failed drives are handled and discovered.  Additionally there are likely updates for the firmware on the drives themselves. 

Good news is 300GB 10K drive won't take that long to rebuild. 

Something else you should check is that the ESXi severs are configured to our best practices. 

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20434601/download

This along with the firmware updates are very important. 

Regards, 

Don 

2 Intern

• 

140 Posts

Ok,

Do you have a link to the latest firmware?

I will swap out the drive but may warn the users prior...

I will look at the guide.

Stan

2 Intern

• 

140 Posts

I did not replace the drive yet, so no none is complaining.  The users are in the middle of a high profile build and test effort.

I am guessing the FW has not been updated.  So whatever FW came on the system back when it was new, is the version. 

Disk are 300gb 10k.

Stan

No Events found!