Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 12th, 2013 06:00

Equallogic Deduplication?

Hi,

I am looking at SAN/NAS storage options and most other storage vendors are offering deduplication technology but I cannot find anywhere on the Equallogic literature mentioning this. Is deduplication available with Equallogic? This is a 'must have' for us to store our virtual machines.

Many thanks, 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 12th, 2013 07:00

It is not currently available for Equallogic but it is on the roadmap.

Regards,

1 Message

April 26th, 2013 12:00

For the PS series, FW 6.0.4 has dedup capabilities and will reclaim deleted LBA space.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 26th, 2013 13:00

Reclaim is not the same thing as de-duplication.  Reclaim, aka re-thining, unmap, will only recover blocks the OS tells the array are now free.

De-dup will look at data that is in use and find duplicates, remove them and point all duplicate data to one copy.

When the feature arrives it will also require new controllers.

Regards,

1 Message

August 20th, 2013 03:00

Hi Donald,

As this is a few months old, I just thought I would check if you are aware of any timescales for this be rolled out yet?

Thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 20th, 2013 09:00

DeDuplication is on the roadmap, but until it's announced I can't comment on timing.   Your sales rep, should be able to provide you with more info under and NDA.

Regards,

102 Posts

August 23rd, 2013 05:00

I am curious about the controller thing. So I am presuming this means that any customer with an array prior to the new supported arrays with updated controllers fast enough to handle the additional deduplication demands, will be out of luck in taking advantage of this newer functionality, correct? I am presuming updated controllers can be purchased for current 6500x's and 6510x's but I am also guessing they will be offered at a premium as well....

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 23rd, 2013 12:00

Correct, without the new controller you won't get the new functionality. 

I can't speak to what HW upgrade options might be available. 

Don 

No Events found!