Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

2 Posts

December 2nd, 2018 13:00

Equallogics PS 6000 - Proper way to erase system.

We are decommissioning 2 Equallogics PS6000 units. These units supported a single medical EMR solution. We will no longer use the units as the software application has been moved to the cloud. Need to erase all data on all volumes for compliance regulations. Any suggestions as to how this can be accomplished short of removing all of the hard drives and processing them thru normal physical destruction processes.

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

December 2nd, 2018 14:00

Hello, 

Depending on what your policy is, ultimately only physical destruction is considered secure.  Given the state of recovery methods available today. 

If they are in the same group, you'll need to remove all the volumes, then remove one member.  This will reset it. 

Then at the CLI of the remaining member run 'reset' command.  

Now you have two individual arrays.  I would connect to them one at a time and create a NEW group.  With just that one member.   Create a RAIDset then reset it again.   Do the same to the other. 

If the two members were in the same pool, then data was split between.  So recovery at this point would be extremely difficult by wiping out all the block maps. 

Also  EQL FW 10.0.x firmware added a more secure reset option.  It will do a more intense erasure process. 

However, that's not to be confused with the old, now unused,  DoD secure erasure. 

Regards,

Don 

2 Posts

December 3rd, 2018 04:00

Thanks Don.

We appreciate your input here. We will move forward with your recommendations for the decommission.

Thanks so much for the advice.

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

December 3rd, 2018 10:00

Hello, 

You are very welcome.  I am so glad that I could help. 

Regards, 

Don 

No Events found!