Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 30th, 2017 08:00

Group Manager error message

I am continually getting a message saying "Group Manager requires Java SE 6 Update 31 or later" when I try to open up Group Manager. I am on Java 8 Update 131 so why do I keep getting this and how can I get past it?

Thanks,

Dave

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 30th, 2017 09:00

Hello, 

You don't need GUI to upgrade firmware.  There are two other ways.  You can manually transfer the upgrade kit to each member via FTP, then run the "update" command at the CLI.   

My personal preference is to do all FW upgrades via the serial port.  In fact I use serial MUXs to connect to both active and passive controllers.  This allows close monitoring of the process and if something did go wrong, I'm already wired up and ready for triage.  Or in your case to contact support.

Or you can download the Dell Storage Update Manger (DSUM).   That's a small java applet that will do both EQL firmware upgrades and drive firmware upgrades if applicable.  You still have to download the EQL firmware kit and drive firmware kit from the website,  DSUM will handle the transfer of the kits to the members.   

Regards,

Don 

23 Posts

Update:

I added the address for my EqualLogics in the Java Control Panel Security exception list and this allows me to access group manager now.

Thanks Don

Dave

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 30th, 2017 08:00

Hello, 

I suspect you are running an older version of EQL firmware.  That is usually what that message means. 

Support for Java 8 started with 7.1 or 8.x firmware I believe. 

Regards, 

Don 

23 Posts

Pretty sure we're on version 7.1.5 so it must be 8.x firmware for Java 8. In the past, I think we used Group Manager to update the firmware but if I can't get into Group Manager, how will I upgrade the firmware? Support call?

Dave

February 20th, 2020 06:00

Fair enough but that's not a solution

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

February 20th, 2020 07:00

Hello, 

Please open a new forum topic with your specific information and errors.  This is from three years ago.  For example Java 8 Build 201 and greater made a change in default settings that prevented the EQL Java client from connecting to group via encrypted connection.  There's a thread on that here as well. 

Regards, 

Don 

No Events found!