Start a Conversation

Unsolved

DB

5 Posts

January 23rd, 2019 02:00

Host-based migration tools

Hi all,

I'm planning a storage migration for a customer, they have 2 x PS4100e and 2 x PS6000s. We will provide 2 new PS6210, that will replace the old ones.

All the current SAN are out of support, and the firmware version are quite old: PS6000s are running V6.0.7, and PS4100e are running v8.1.8.

As Dell best practices, I cannot create a single group with all the arrays and use the Automatic Load Balancing due the different firmware versions.

I'm not confident to do a firmware upgrade with no support on the old SAN, so I was thinking for an host-based tools to complete the migration. The hosts are all Windows OS.

I've already used in the past tools like Powerpath Migration Enabler and Open Migrator but, as I can see from the support matrix, the PS series are not supported.

Are there any other tools that can be used with the PS series? Any other idea?

Thanks,

Kind regards

Danibett

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

January 23rd, 2019 04:00

Hello, For the purposes of migrating from the old arrays to the new one, upgrading the current arrays and adding in the new 6210s would be the best option. You won't get hardware support of the old arrays of course but upgrading firmware is a very low risk operation. If you already have the 6210's you can open a support case against them and ask for a health review of the current group. Then you can upgrade the arrays and add in the 6210. Put the 6210 into its own pool, and build the RAIDset and configure the other interface. Then once it completes you can move it into the other pool. Then one at a time move the first 6000 out to the temp pool. Once that completes, THEN delete it from the group. Repeat for the other 6000. Same for the group the 4100. Regards, Don

January 23rd, 2019 05:00

Hi Don, Thanks for your reply, I will suggest again this approach to the customer. They are not confident about the firmware upgrade task, but if I'll confirm that is a low risk operation, I hope they will change their mind. If any other solution came to your mind, please let me know. Kind regards Danibett

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

January 23rd, 2019 08:00

Hello, Just using host based software then. Which can be slow and require a small outage as you move everything to the new group. Regards, Don
No Events found!