Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2015 10:00

How to upgrade FS7600 interfaces to 10Gbit

The release notes for DellFluidFS-3.0.920760 indicate that an FS7600 can be upgraded to use 10Gbit interfaces by replacing the network interface cards with 10Gbit PCIe network cards but that a Dell support technician should perform the upgrade.

Well it is simple enough to swap those cards and I have an FS7600 that I have inherited and I have the Intel X520 SFP cards to do the upgrade. I have opened a case with Dell for more instruction but I honestly would like to do this myself if I can.

Any advice?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 19th, 2015 10:00

Hello,

I would wait for the case owner to get back to you on this.  Since that is different from what I believed to be correct.  

Regards,

Don

August 19th, 2015 11:00

I talked to a support tech finally and their first response was that it is impossible and I have to purchase an FS7610 if I want 10Gbit. Once I pointed out that the release notes for version 3.0.920760 indicate specifically that it is possible and a supported upgrade he went back to his supervisor and then told me that I have to purchase an upgrade kit of some kind and that will include having a technician onsite to do the upgrade. This FS7600 is not in use so there is no data to migrate, no config to change. It's sitting on my desk with a blank config so... yeah. It would be great if they could just tell me how to do it or provide the software required but instead I now have to wait for the sales people to respond.

When we got this FS7600 it took weeks dealing with the sales people. :(

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello,

In speaking with some other folks, they too don't believe this is a user level upgrade.  Possibly requiring some other internal changes.

What model array are you using with this unit?   Is it actively in-use now?  

don

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello,

That at least checks with the info I found.  Not user installable, and not just a card swap.

What model array and firmware are you planning on using this with?

Don

We have a PS 6110E that we want to use it with. The array is just for this and has no real data on it so we currently have 7.1 firmware on it but can go to 8.0.4 if required.

The sales person I checked with can find no part/kit or other offering that would cover this. So now I am not sure what to do. I pointed out that it is supposed to be a supported upgrade but they can't figure out how to do it.

Hahah! Now the sales people are doing the same dance... "Not possible." then when I point out the release notes... "Oh, let me check into that..."

Check into it before you tell me it is not possible! :<

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 19th, 2015 12:00

Hello,

Do not upgrade the array firmware yet.  The FS7600 is going to be too old to support 8.0.x.  Might not work with 7.x either if it is really old firmware.

Re: Upgrade.  If it's still available, it would have to be done via Pro Services.  Since it also involves getting a Fluidfs trained tech out there.   Services, not support.  

It is possible that while supported the upgrade is no longer available.  An example is, there used to be upgrades from 1GbE controllers to 10GbE for EQL arrays.   But they are no longer available.  

Regards,

Don

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 19th, 2015 13:00

Sorry, I wasn't sure what the release the 7600 was actually running.  You mentioned reading the release notes I didn't want to assume that's the version it was actually using right now.

Don

August 19th, 2015 13:00

Wow, that seems weird. The release notes for V3.0.940200 says: "Customers must upgrade to PS Series v8.0.x prior to taking V3.0.940200. It is not supported with v.7.0.x." So it seems it should be ok. In any case, PS series firmware v7.x should be fine and that is what I am running with version 3.0.920760 of the FluidFS.

I'm going to keep looking into reaching someone at Dell pro services. I don't know if I have ever done that before.

24 Posts

April 5th, 2022 16:00

Hi all,

I am looking to do the same. Was there a solution for this ? Sadly my FS access expired and looking for a recovery DVD for the fs7600.

Anyone can help me out. Like to know where is this internal usb is located. 

No Events found!