Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

3 Posts

August 16th, 2018 05:00

Problems configuring/installing MEM 1.5 in vCenter 6.5

Hello I am having trouble with getting MEM configured with a host which is managed by a vCenter Server.
We want to use a vDS and not a vSwitch for iSCSI.

We have a vCenter Server 6.5 U1 on the LAN.
The host we want to setup MEM with is in DMZ.

When I run the setup.pl script with the --server {vcenterserver} --vihost{dmzhost} --username --password command I get the following error:
Unable to retrieve SSL certificate from host: 404 Not Found

I already tried adding the server thumbprints for both servers through the credstore_admin.pl script, but I still results in the same error.
Can anyone tell me what is causing the error and how to fix it?

Edit:
I also added the vCenter Root Certificate to my computers local certificate store. I did this after I added the thumbprints. This also didn't fix the issue therefor I removed the thumbprints from the credstore again. The Root cert is still in place. I can also visit the vCenter webinterface without a certificate error.

Edit2:
I tested what happens if I run the script with a --vihost which is on the LAN.
I get the same error. There is no firewall between the vcenter server and the esxi host on the LAN.

Kind regards,

3 Posts

August 16th, 2018 06:00

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

August 16th, 2018 06:00

Hello,

That is  caused by a change in how ESXi works using the tools they provide to install MEM.  In the release notes for MEM is a VMware KB on how to correct that.

Regards,

Don

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

August 16th, 2018 09:00

Hello,

That was the one I was thinking of yes. 

Are you using the vMA appliance or on a PC?

Regards,

Don

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

August 16th, 2018 10:00

Hello,

Please open a support case.  I believe this could be an issue with setup.pl.

They can help you with this problem.

Regards,

Don

3 Posts

August 22nd, 2018 04:00

I used a PC with vsphere CLI and starberry perl.
I worked around the script by manually making the vDS and setting the required settings.

Now the problem I experienced was that after installing the MEM 1.5 software on the ESXi host was that when the server booted it became unresponsive for 2-5 mins.

I was not able to access the webpage.
I was able to access the console login screen, but when I entered the password I had to wait 2-5 mins before it would switch to the next screen.

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

August 22nd, 2018 05:00

Hello,

I would open a  support case with Dell.  I never seen a case where MEM caused this kind of issue.

Regards,

Don

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

August 23rd, 2018 07:00

Hello,

I was just checking in to see if you opened a support case and if you got a resolution to your issues?

Regards,

Don

3 Posts

August 29th, 2018 11:00

Hi, were you able to solve this issue? I'm currently experiencing the same problem when trying to run setup.pl from Windows and/or VMA.

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

August 29th, 2018 12:00

Hello,

I would suggest you open a support case with Dell they can likely help you work around this.

Regards,

Don

3 Posts

September 4th, 2018 09:00

Edit: duplicate post. Please delete. Thanks

3 Posts

September 4th, 2018 09:00

I've found that the section in the script that has issues starts at line 482. If your vCenter and host use different passwords, then the $username, $server and $password values are not handed properly. For the script to work go to the “circumventing the thumbprint check” section (starting in line 562), and replace the $server, $username and $password parameters in line 568 with the target host values. Dell support is still looking into this issue, but this solution worked for me so I thought I'd share.

Regards

No Events found!