Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

1 Rookie

• 

83 Posts

August 27th, 2014 08:00

Removing NAS Member

I want to temporarily remove a NAS member (7610) from my group. We currently have 2 NAS members in production group and only 1 NAS member in DR. For replication to work there must be an equal number of NAS members, so until we buy a second NAS member for DR I cannot use Replication. How do I remove the second NAS member?

TIA

Troy

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 27th, 2014 08:00

This is from the Admin guide, page 195

Dell EqualLogic Group Manager Administrator’s Manual Add Additional NAS Controllers

About Deleting a NAS Cluster

If you no longer need to provide NAS containers, you can delete the NAS cluster from the PS Series group.

When you delete a NAS cluster:

• All service data and all client data that is stored in the NAS reserve is destroyed.

• The NAS reserve space becomes free pool space.

• The NAS controllers are reset to the factory defaults.

• The NAS controllers reboot.

When you delete the NAS cluster, a message appears stating that the cluster was deleted successfully.

However, you cannot discover the NAS controllers and used them in a NAS clusters until the NAS controllers

reboot, before you can discover the NAS controllers to use them in a NAS cluster.

You can delete a NAS cluster even if some NAS controllers are down. If any controllers are down, you must

confirm that you want to continue.

You must reinstall the firmware to reset NAS controllers to their factory defaults.

Delete a NAS Cluster

Deleting a NAS cluster destroys all NAS cluster configuration data and all client data that is stored in the NAS

reserve, and the NAS reserve space becomes free pool space. The NAS controllers are reset to the factory

defaults, and will reboot.

To delete a NAS cluster:

1. Click Group, expand Group Configuration, and then select the NAS cluster.

2. Click Delete NAS cluster.

3. Click the Destroy size data checkbox, where size is the size of the NAS cluster you want to delete. You

must select this checkbox to delete the cluster.

4. Click Yes.

A message appears stating that the NAS cluster was deleted successfully. However, you must wait until the

NAS controllers reboot before you can discover them

Regards,

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 27th, 2014 09:00

My apologies,  I didn't read it correctly.

What version of EQL FW and FS firmware?     I'll see what I can find out.

1 Rookie

• 

83 Posts

I do not want to delete the cluster. I want to remove 1 of the 2 NAS members in the cluster. In the admin guide there is information about removing a Controller and I am not certain if this is in reference to the whole member or the individual controllers in the member.

Detach a NAS Controller

To replace a malfunctioning NAS controller without affecting data availability, you can detach the NAS controller and then attach a functioning NAS controller. A detach operation should be used only to replace a NAS controller.

Caution: Detach a NAS controller only when directed by your Customer Support representative.

Dell EqualLogic Group Manager Administrator’s Manual Add Additional NAS Controllers

In some cases, your support representative might instruct you to cleanly shut down a NAS controller before detaching it. After cleanly shutting down the NAS controller, you can turn on power, wait for the NAS cluster to recognize the NAS controller, and then detach the NAS controller.

You cannot detach a NAS controller if its peer NAS controller is already detached. However, in a 4-controller NAS cluster, you can detach one controller in each NAS controller pair.

To detach a NAS controller:

1. Click Group Configuration, then expand Members.

Select a NAS member and, if necessary, expand it to show the NAS controller name.

After verifying the status of its peer NAS controller, select an attached NAS controller.

4. Click Detach NAS controller.

5. Confirm that you want to detach the NAS controller.

A progress window appears, showing the progress of the detach NAS controller operation. This operation might

take up to 30 minutes to complete.

After you detach a NAS controller:

An X icon overlays the controller name in the PS Series group hierarchy.

The NAS controller resets to its factory defaults and powers off, if possible.

Note: Wait for the detach NAS controller operation to complete before starting another long-running operation, such as an add NAS controller pair, attach NAS controller, or NAS reserve resize operation.

You can perform some member maintenance operations with no impact on member operation (for example, replacing a power supply). You can perform other NAS cluster maintenance operations by cleanly shutting down one NAS controller (resulting in a degraded pair), performing the maintenance, and then restarting the controller. See your NAS appliance hardware documentation.

If the detach NAS controller operation fails, contact your customer service representative.

1 Rookie

• 

83 Posts

No problem. I already have a support call open and was using the forum to see if anyone had a quick answer for this.

PS = 7.02

FS = 3.0.920760

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 27th, 2014 12:00

Hello,  well the answer is no,  you can't reconfigure a dual head NAS setup to single once it's configured.   You would have to tear it all down, and re-do it.   That's the word I'm getting back.

Re: Firmware.  Definitely upgrade to 7.0.7 and upgrade the NAS as well.   MR330 is available for the FS series.  

No Events found!