July 4th, 2018 03:00

VMware 6.7 MEM support

Any idea when this will be available?

3 Apprentice

• 

1.5K Posts

July 4th, 2018 18:00

Hello,

Since it has not been released publically by Dell/EMC it can't be released on an open forum.

Please contact your Sales rep, with an NDA in place they can discuss the current RoadMap for EqualLogic

Regards,

Don

10 Posts

October 2nd, 2018 21:00

sounds like the roadmap leads to a dead end.

108 Posts

October 23rd, 2018 03:00

vSphere 6.7 was released in April and vSphere 6.7 Update 1 was released last week. Anyone from Dell can let us know if there is a plan to release a MEM release compatible with vSphere 6.7 in the next few days, even if in beta? This is a blocking issue for a vSphere 6.7 installation. Thanks.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.5K Posts

October 23rd, 2018 05:00

Hello, 

Yes a version of MEM compatible with v6.7 is coming but not in the next few days.  No beta is planned either. 

Regards,

Don 

108 Posts

October 24th, 2018 05:00

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you at least let us know if the MEM version compatible with vSphere 6.7 is going to be available in the next few weeks or if we need to wait months?

The lack of any roadmap is really frustrating.

Thanks.

October 24th, 2018 15:00

This huge wait just gives me the impression that Dell has pulled almost all resources from the Equallogic line and are preparing to drop it as a product?

Maybe I am wrong, but seems like a pretty lame excuse to just sit there and say "there is no eta, but it is coming!".

Its been 6 months, which for a company as big as Dell should easily have the resources to be able to release an updated MEM much quicker than that.

108 Posts

April 11th, 2019 05:00

vSphere 6.7 was released a year ago.

Can anyone from Dell let us know if a MEM version compatible with ESXi 6.7 is coming out soon?

Also, what do you lose if you use run ESXi 6.7 without the MEM?

Thanks.

108 Posts

April 11th, 2019 07:00

Is there any benefit using MEM with a single array?

Is a MEM version compatible with ESXi 6.7 planned to be released anytime soon?

Thanks.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.5K Posts

April 11th, 2019 07:00

Hello,

MEM is not required to use Dell PS Series SANs with VMware ESXi servers.

The enhancement to the VMware MPIO system is beneficial as you add more arrays to the same pool.  It improves the efficiency of IO operations in that case.

The best practices tech doc shows how to properly configure the native VMware Round Robin to work well without MEM.   Then later you can add MEM.

That document is here:

https://downloads.dell.com/solutions/storage-solution-resources/BestPracticesWithPSseries-VMware%28TR1091%29.pdf

If also covers other settings to improve performance with or without MEM

Regards,

Don

3 Apprentice

• 

1.5K Posts

April 11th, 2019 09:00

Hello,

Since it has not been announced publicly by Dell/EMC, product release information can't be discussed on an open forum.

Please contact your Sales rep, with an NDA in place they can discuss the current product roadmap for Dell PS Series arrays.

Regards,

Don

3 Apprentice

• 

1.5K Posts

April 11th, 2019 10:00

Hello,

Performance wise, no.  It does automatically set the login_timeout to 60 seconds on the fly.

It was designed specifically to enhance MPIO performance in multiple member pools.

The Dell PS design intent is that no additional software is required for iSCSI connectivity. So technically the PS array will connect just fine to ESXi v6.7.   VVOLs requires special integration so without VSM for example, you lose that feature.

Originally when VMware offered the MPIO plugin support only Enterprise or Enterprise+ licensed servers could use it.  So not everyone could even use it back then.

Regards,

Don

108 Posts

April 11th, 2019 10:00

Does MEM offer any benefit in a single array setup?

Thanks.

August 12th, 2019 07:00

Anyone actually attempted to use the latest MEM v1.5 with ESX 6.7 (the latest supported ESXi version is reportedly 6.5)? 

3 Apprentice

• 

1.5K Posts

August 12th, 2019 10:00

Hello, I would suggest that you do not try to install it. There are some changes in v6.7, and the certification process by Vmware is version specific. So the bundled VMware certified key won;'t work with 6.7. Regards, Don

August 12th, 2019 14:00

Ok, Thanks. Is an updated MEM still on the release radar? I have a couple of PS6210 arrays in production I'd really like to sweat a year more before migrating to vSAN. Yeah I know NDA yah de yah etc etc ..
No Events found!