Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 14th, 2016 14:00

VMware Virtual Volumes and Multiple vCenter Servers

I have one EQ group that provides storage for two vCenters. I have VVols working on vCenter #1, but cannot create VVOLs from vCenter #2. I found this general post online and wonder if I can only provide one Container & VVol total and that's why I cannot create VVOLs from my second vCenter?

Today many vendors only support a single Storage Container which encompasses an entire storage array.

Today most vendors only support a single Protocol Endpoint for the entire storage array.

vsphere-land.com/.../comparing-virtual-volume-vvol-limits-to-vmfsnfs-limits.html

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 15th, 2016 09:00

Thank you for clarifying that.  I would suggest you open a support case.  Could be that the VASA provider didn't register properly.  

Don

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 14th, 2016 14:00

Hello,

The VSM appliance doesn't support linked vCenters, nor can it connect to two vCenters at the same time.  You need deploy another VSM appliance for the 2nd vCenter, presuming the vCenters are not linked.

Re: General post.  These limits do NOT apply to the Dell PS Series SAN storage.  There is only one PE but that doesn't limit the number of volumes per Group.   You can have multiple VVOL Datastores, in the same or different pools. You can have multiple VVOL Datastores of different sizes.  

Regards,

Don

1 Rookie

• 

84 Posts

March 15th, 2016 07:00

I do have a separate VSM deployed in each vCenter, but I cannot create a VVOL in the 2nd vCenter and thought it was a limitation, but must be some other problem. When I get back into the office I will send more information.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 15th, 2016 08:00

Hello,

The vCenters aren't linked correct?  If not, then sounds like a configuration issue with the 2nd vCenter.

Don

1 Rookie

• 

84 Posts

March 15th, 2016 08:00

Correct. They are NOT linked.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

With Dell please.  Dell wrote the VSM appliance code which allows the Dell PS Series SAN to with vCenter to make VVOLs work with PS series SANs.

1 Rookie

• 

84 Posts

Open call with Dell or VMware?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 16th, 2016 10:00

Hello,

Thanks for the update!  

Regards,

Don

1 Rookie

• 

84 Posts

March 16th, 2016 10:00

Thanks Donald! I re-registered the VASA and can create a VVOL now.

No Events found!