Re: Ask the Expert: Whats new in VMAX

Hi Tom,

Is it (Unisphere) with new architecture or some more features got added and what is the version, if existing ones ?

Thanx

Rakesh

0 Kudos
RRR
5 Tungsten

so how many 6 Gb lanes in each SAS connection? As Alkhvo asked and stated, the VNX has a 4 lane 6 Gb SAS connection, so the BE ports on the storage processors can handle 4 x 6 = 24 Gbps. How about the VMAX3?

0 Kudos
Gabriel_Saint
1 Copper

Hi.

Can I reuse somehow my old VMAXes by virtualizing them under a new VMAX3?

What about other vendors systems, can they be virtualized under VMAX3 and integrated on the service levels provision system ?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RRR
5 Tungsten

I would assume that just about any "old" storage array van be virtualized, right?

0 Kudos
Gabriel_Saint
1 Copper

Well, I assume the support will be restricted to a limited list of devices, due to testing limitations. "Any old storage array" is... a lot 😉

0 Kudos

Rakesh,

The specific version of Unisphere is 8.0 and it uses the new architecture. The look and feel is much different (and in my view much more intuitive). It is focused on Workloads (for Provisioning, Monitoring, etc.). I’m attaching a sample screen shot below to give everyone an idea of what the new UI looks like, this is a Monitoring screen. There was a longer demonstration of Unisphere in the launch webinar if you are interested.

Thanks.

Tom O

0 Kudos
PaulDLorusso
1 Nickel

Hi,

Your question is essentially around FTS support. This is not available at GA, and is targeted for future release.

Best,

Paul

0 Kudos
PaulDLorusso
1 Nickel

Hi,

VMAX3 has implemented the same BE approach as described below for VNX.

Best,

Paul

alkhvo
1 Nickel

is vmax3 engine and vnx8000 storage processor the same? If so, vmax3 engine takes less units at cabinet. Is it still 8 engines maximum for one system? what is the maximum drives limit? How many drive enclosures sharing the same sas bus at the maximum configuration of vmax3 (max disk enclosures at daisy chained sas bus)?

IS it it still using heavy SPS batteries?

was SRDF technology modified? Can one sync DMX4 and vmax3 via SRDF?

is there still maximum 4 mirror positions for 1 device?

does new uni sphere for vmax still require gate keepers devs for controlling vmax3?

Sorry for the rain of questions, hope somedoby answer at least half of them)

regards, Alexander

0 Kudos
PaulDLorusso
1 Nickel

Alkhvo,

Many of the questions you ask can be found as outlined in the VMAX3 Specification sheet to which I am providing a link. We still use SPS, but are not using Lead Acid and have moved to LiON batteries which are considerably lighter. VMAX 400K expands to 8 engines—please review the Spec Sheet.

http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/specification-sheet/h13217-vmax3-ss.pdf

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos