Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 12th, 2013 12:00

PS6000e vs PS6010 controllers

Through an acquisition I have been given 6 new unopened Dell EqualLogic storage boxes.  I have installed a couple of them in my lab to learn more about them since I need to install a couple of them at some remote sites.  Two of of them are PS6010 systems full of 600G drives with the 10G only controllers.  I have not found the GBIC for these PS6010 controllers was wondering if I can just pull a couple of 1G controllers out of a PS6000e to get the PS6010 chassis setup and online?  The PS6000e box has 2TB drives in it which I am not sure would meet performance needs for the remote sites.  I know these boxes are a little dated since they were purchased in 2010 but they still show maintenance through 2014. 

I guess the short is how swappable are these chasis?  Can you put any controller in any chasis with any type drive or are there special chasis to match contollers and drives?

Thanks, Paul

7 Technologist

• 

729 Posts

June 12th, 2013 14:00

Although they appear the same, they are not interchangeable between models.

The 10G connection on the 6010 uses a SFP+

You should contact customer service so you can get the array ownership changed at:Eqlx-customer-service@dell.com

Also a few good public facing links are here:

en.community.dell.com/.../2639.equallogic-configuration-guide.aspx

en.community.dell.com/.../2632.storage-infrastructure-and-solutions-team-publications.aspx

en.community.dell.com/.../3615.rapid-equallogic-configuration-portal-by-sis.aspx

-joe  

June 12th, 2013 15:00

Thanks Joe.  Can the 600G drives be moved to the PS6000e inplace of the 2 TB with out any issues?

Also how do you get the tool software to rediscover a PS box if you want to start over on configuration?

Paul

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 12th, 2013 15:00

Moving controllers and drives around would invalidate the service contracts.

In order to get Remote Setup Wizard to reconfigure an array, that array must be first deleted from the group, if Multimember, or reset at the CLI if standalone.    Once reset/deleted it will show up in the Remote Setup Wizard.

You will also want to upgrade the firmware on all these units to the latest revision.  Currently 6.0.4.

Regards,

No Events found!