Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 13th, 2010 11:00

i-SCSI quad path

Is it possible to configure a Dell R710 connected to a MD3000i by using 4 nics in my R710. Manuals show dual path configuration but I am curious if I can setup a quad path configuration and will I get better throughput.

49 Posts

October 15th, 2010 11:00

daviskld,

You would want to configure the server to have all four paths available to the MD, but only one controller (thus 2 ports) owns any particular lun or volume, so there would not really be any performance increase. You use the multiple paths to redundancy and failure tolerance.

-Lance

October 15th, 2010 14:00

Yes, you can configue one server to connect to an MD3000i via four NICs but no you really will not increase the throughput. If you have a virtual disk controlled by the left raid controller (RC0) then a data request will stream through one port on the RC with the other port acting a sa redundant connection. If you have two virtual disks, one controlled by RC0 and one by RC1 you will get throughput through one connection on each controller.

37 Posts

October 22nd, 2010 06:00

We are using VMware 4.1 and the embedded Broadcom NIC ISCI initiator on the R610. We accomplished what you are asking by creating a separate disk group for each controller/port, four total in the case of the MD3000i. We now have primary active paths for each controller/port.
No Events found!