Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 24th, 2010 15:00

multipath configuration lost after reboot

I followed this guideline initially and was able to get multipath to work. On each LUN device, I saw 2 standby paths and 2 active i/o paths.

I shutdown my host to add more memory. When it was restarted, my multipath was gone. Now for each LUN device, I only see 1 standby and 1 active path.

I ran:
esxcli swiscsi nic list -d vmhba33

and it shows both vmknic in there.

The static discovery tab show all 4 iscsi targets.

I have even unconfigured iscsi sw on the host, rebooted, and followed the guideline again.

I still get 1 standby and 1 active path for each LUN.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Anthony

847 Posts

May 25th, 2010 13:00

Which SAN? And can you deduce which are missing?

On your iSCSI strage adapter tab you are only seeing 1/2 of your paths right now correct?

So look at the targets number.. and multiply it by 4 and that should equal your paths total. If it only equals x2 than your misisng 1/2 your paths. I am not sure why a reboot would cause this.

2 Posts

May 25th, 2010 17:00

SAN is MD3000i with 2 controllers, with 2 NICs on each.

Connected targets: 1 Devices: 17 Paths: 36

2 of the paths is masked and has a state of "dead". I have read that this is normal.

This issue is on both of the host that is part of the cluster.

I did try to reconfigure the iscsi ports on the SAN to change the ip. Module 1, port 0 had the ip set, but was marked as "configured". I tried to change it to force the port to be reset. Had the error with PROC_setIscsiInterfaceProperties. Tried it again and it worked.

Not sure not if it is the MD3000i as both hosts is utilizing only 1 of the controller at the moment.

847 Posts

May 26th, 2010 09:00

"SAN is MD3000i with 2 controllers, with 2 NICs on each.

Connected targets: 1 Devices: 17 Paths: 36

2 of the paths is masked and has a state of "dead". I have read that this is normal.

This issue is on both of the host that is part of the cluster.

I did try to reconfigure the iscsi ports on the SAN to change the ip. Module 1, port 0 had the ip set, but was marked as "configured". I tried to change it to force the port to be reset. Had the error with PROC_setIscsiInterfaceProperties. Tried it again and it worked.

Not sure not if it is the MD3000i as both hosts is utilizing only 1 of the controller at the moment."
On your MSDM, it should show a split between the two controllers as far as ownership goes. The ownership and paths being used by the host(s) should be right or your san will blink orange / error.
No Events found!