Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2011 15:00

Adding a 2nd Hard Disk to a XPS L702X

I'm waiting for my new XPS L702X.

I ordered it with just 1 Hard Disk, but I already have 2  hard disks from my old Vostro 1710 (that died) and I want to put one of those in the new laptop.

Anyone knows if I need a special SATA cable, a special case or both?

I have the case that holds 2 Hard Drives in my old Vostro, but it seems that it will not fit the XPS. Also have the SATA cables, but I don't think they will fit too.

If a special case/cable is required, how can I buy them?, I searched in the DELL Online Store for parts and accessories, and I see the Hard Disks, but not the parts.

Also if I buy a Hard Disk in DELL Online Store for my L702x does it includes the cables/case?

11 Posts

March 14th, 2011 12:00

Laptop hard drives don't use cables.  If the L702x supports multiple drives then the drive will just slide into the laptop.  If there are any kind of rails or mount for the additional drive bay they will be in the laptop already.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 14th, 2011 12:00

There are some notebooks - particularly Alienware - that DO use cables, not a tray.  The XPS 17 does use a tray mount.

And DO NOT assume the second drive mounting bracket will be there - most often, if you order a system with only one drive, it is not.

2 Posts

March 14th, 2011 13:00

Laptop hard drives don't use cables.  If the L702x supports multiple drives then the drive will just slide into the laptop.  If there are any kind of rails or mount for the additional drive bay they will be in the laptop already.

There are some notebooks - particularly Alienware - that DO use cables, not a tray.  The XPS 17 does use a tray mount.

And DO NOT assume the second drive mounting bracket will be there - most often, if you order a system with only one drive, it is not.

Thanks for your responses.

I have (had, it just died) a Vostro 1710 laptop with 2 HDs. And it has 2 Hard Disk bays:

- mine came with 2 HDs from the factory, so it has a bay that fits both HDs and keep them together, and a pair of cables, the cables are different in size and shape, so I think you cannot not interchange them.

- If you orthered you Vostro with just 1 HD, the the bay fits only 1 HD, and if you want to add a 2nd HD then you must order a special bay that fits 2HDs, and the cable. And just throw away the first bay.

So I want to use one of my Vostro HardDrives and add it to my new XPS, thats why I was worried.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 14th, 2011 16:00

There's no guarantee the carrier will fit -- though the Latitude models use interchangeable parts, the Vostro/XPS/Inspiron/Studio models don't.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 4th, 2011 19:00

The system will take only 9.5 mm or slimmer drives - 12.5 mm drives won't fit.  There's little point in installing a faster drive as storage (unless the price is the same).

3 Posts

I didn't even know the L702X had a 2nd drive slot as no option to fill it was offered to me when specing mine up.  I only found out when upgrading the RAM.  Assuming I did have a caddy (I didn't look that closely but I believe you) where can I get one quick and cheap in the UK and how much is it likely to be?

Most importantantly, will it take 12mm drives or just 9.5mm? 

Once I know that I've got to decide on a 7200rpm 750gb or a 5400rpm 1tb. See the main drive is only a 5400rpm bis there I point in going for the faster drive for storage?

3 Posts

Thanks for the swift reply, will I have to go direct to Dell for the caddy?

April 26th, 2011 12:00

What was the final solution/answer to this?

I've got the same question?

I've ordered a L702X yesterday, with 1 hdd, so I got install a SSD..
Well, do i need to order a caddy or something?

3 Posts

April 26th, 2011 15:00

I can confirm that my L702X came with a 2nd caddy installed.

My lappy was a custom build so I can't be sure if all standard builds have them but I can't see why not.

April 26th, 2011 23:00

ok thanks for your reply.

Mine is custom built too..

Should be ok then :)

No Events found!