Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Y

December 20th, 2017 03:00

Alienware 17 R4 Battery won't charge over 99%

So I bought my laptop the previous Summer. It's Alienware  17 R4 I used just 7-8 times but I faced an annoying problem.

The laptop's battery won't charge over 99%! it says: "plugged in, not charging", it's been an hours and it's still stuck.

in the bios battery health Show message error "this battery has experienced a permanent failure and needs to be replaced"

I remember this problem occur when I upgraded the drivers to latest version including BIOS

I focused in the bios because most people face this problem battery with the bios upgrade

I tried to downgrade to previous versions but still the same problem , I tried to press F9 in BIOS Setting to "load Default" after reboot the problem still exist

I tried to unplug the laptop battery and bios battery and plug them back and the problem persist

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

December 20th, 2017 04:00

Hi vacinemi,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies that your system is not working as expected.  From your description, it could be one of several things causing this issue.  1. The battery might be defective. 2. The ac adapter may not be charging. or 3. The charging circuitry on the motherboard has failed.  

To troubleshoot this issue, turn the laptop off, disconnect the power cables, take out the battery, and then hold the power button down for a full minute. This will fully drain the power supply. Put the battery back in, plug in the power supply and power up.

If that doesn't work, then run a systems diagnostics by pressing F12 at startup or use Support Assist, make a note of any error messages, and contact Tech Support.  You can contact Tech Support at 1-800-624-9896  or 1-800-288-4410, or you can initiate a chat session http://dell.to/2v4snVm

8 Posts

December 20th, 2017 05:00

After , disconnect the power cables, and take out the battery, and then I hold the power button down for a full minute and put the battery back in, plug in the power supply and power up and turn on the laptop the problem still occur and when I Scan with supportAssist from the Boot I get this error Code

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 20th, 2017 06:00

:emotion-2:

According to Battery health in the BIOS and Support Assist (Images), the battery is failing or has failed, and needs replacement.

Dell Laptop Battery FAQ | Dell

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 20th, 2017 06:00

8 Posts

December 20th, 2017 10:00

From SupportAssist it show my warranty expires on 8/29/2018

Currently I'm living in Algeria Country and the laptop bought from USA

is it possible that dell support send me battery to my friend he lives in USA and he ship it for me because if I ship it to USA and Get it Back from USA it's very costly about $400 for the the way back and forth shipping ? Or what's the instruction I need to follow

I'm fan of Alienware from Long Time ago and in each version released I buy it but this time I really disappointed with new laptop come with those problems

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 20th, 2017 11:00

Please click on link below, hopefully it will be a help to you;

International Contact Center | Dell US

No Events found!