Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

January 17th, 2009 08:00

Cloning Hard Drive - Apricorn EZ-UPGRADE - True Image - Seagate Disk Wizard

Laptop: Dell Inspiron I1318, 3GB ram 250gb hd, Vista Home Premium. Bought 12/29/08.

Issue: I purchased the EZ-UPGRADE (made by Apricorn) - usb external enclosure - and have been trying to clone an identical hard drive (for backup purposes). I've loaded the EZ-GigII rev 2 software and tried via using windows route and boot up route. I continue to get ERROR: unable to write disc 2 sector xxxxxx (retry, ignore, ignore all) - I hit a for ignore a and the cloning progressing percentage starts to work. But this cloning process takes over 20 hrs and then when completed I get OPERATION ERROR: invalid format. I check the drive via partition via right click computer, select manage and see the drive - and the drive states unallocated hard drive.

The EZ-GigII software is created by Acronis (True Image).

Seagate (hard drive mfr) also offers this software in their Seagate Disk Wizard software. I tried that software and True Image trial - and I get the same results.

I've tested (using seagate tools diagnostics software) and the drives pass all test. I bought another identical drive and same results.

I then took one of the new drives, formatted, installed in my Dell computer, loaded Vista Windows Premium and (so now I don't have the Dell utility partition - which some same maybe the culprit).

Still I can't clone the drive.

1 Message

February 22nd, 2009 13:00

I was having the same problem when upgrading a hard drive (from a 80GB 5400rpm to a 320GB 7200rpm) on my Dell Inspiron 6400. After tightening the 4 screws on the back of the caddy, not only the errors went away, but the clone progress moved much faster.

315 Posts

February 22nd, 2009 22:00

;^) I'd use a GPartEd live CD, instead.  It's easier to copy a hard drive partition when you haven't booted from it.  Of course, if you have a hardware problem, this won't fix it, though backing up your data would be a good start....

No Events found!