Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 12th, 2012 10:00

DELL Inspirion N5010 Touchpad Buttons not working

My laptop touchpad right and left click buttons were working fine, but then after I shut the computer down and started it up again a couple hours later, neither of the touchpad buttons worked anymore. Can someone please help me fix this? When I plug in an external mouse both the left and right buttons work, just not the touchpad buttons.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 12th, 2012 11:00

Hi DELL - NEY,

To check if the problem is with the hardware or software on the computer, please follow the steps mentioned below.

1.       Restart the computer.

2.       As the computer boots, press when the Dell Splash Screen appears. 

3.       Choose the ‘repair my computer’ option and please wait for the next screen.

4.       On the Logon screen, please check if the touch pad and touchpad buttons are working.

5.       If the touch pad buttons are not working, it should be a hardware issue.

Also, the keyboard on the Inspiron N5010 system has a "Disable Touchpad" key next to the F12 key. This is a toggle key which can be used to Disable / Enable the Touchpad. Please check if the touch pad is disabled. 

Please let me know if this helps

4 Posts

September 12th, 2012 11:00

When I press nothing happens, only and do things, leads me to setup and leads me to a boot window. Also I tried using the toggle key and it doesn't change anything.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 14th, 2012 12:00

Hi DELL – NEY,

I’d suggest you run the diagnostics on the computer to check if there are any issues with the touchpad. Please follow the steps in the link below to run the custom test on the touch pad.

1. Restart the computer.
  2. As the computer boots, press when the Dell Splash Screen appears.
  3. When the Boot menu appears, highlight the Diagnostics option and then press to start the 32-bit Dell Diagnostics.
    Note : In some cases PSA Diagnostics will run first. If you receive an error during PSA diagnostics continue onto 32-bit Diagnostics, Press ‘N’ for ‘No’ when the system asks you to ‘Continue Memory Tests’.
  4. Press the   key to highlight Custom Test Press   to continue to 32-bit Diagnostics.
  5. Please run the test on the touch pad.

If there is an issue with the touch pad, we will have to replace it.

Please reply for any queries.

4 Posts

September 14th, 2012 14:00

I ran the diagnostic and the touchpad buttons don't work but the touchpad itself does. Do I have to replace the entire touchpad then or just the buttons? And where do I get it replaced?

4 Posts

September 14th, 2012 14:00

Oh also, I am still under warranty so does that cover the cost of replacing it?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 17th, 2012 15:00

Hi DELL – NEY,

If you have received any error while running the custom diagnostics test on the touch pad. You will have to replace the touch pad on your computer.

I have added you as my friend on the community forum. Please send me a private message with the system service tag. I will check if your computer is in warranty and provide further assistance.

No Events found!