Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 6th, 2011 15:00

DELL Inspiron N5010 Keyboard configuration question

Hi there people :)

I bought a brand new laptop and I really like it but I have this problem.

You know that normally you have your buttons f1 f2 f3 ... and they have their functions. And when you press the FN button on the laptop it turns on the extra functions like lowering the contrast or controling the volume. But on this Laptop its revesed. If I press f4 it lowers the contrast and if I actually want to use f4 I need to use the FN button. This is kind of uncomfortable cos for closing the window I have to hold ALT+Fn+F4. Im used to do this with one had - just ALT+F4 and now its kind of hard. So can I make it like a normal keyboard like most laptops have. I want my function keys from 1 to 12 to work as they would on other computers and when I hold the Fn button then to be able to use the laptop functions like lowering contrast or disable the touch pad.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 7th, 2011 13:00

You can change this in Windows Mobility Center. Type that in the Start Box to access it.

I found an easier way to access Mobility Center--Windows Key and X opens it up.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

February 7th, 2011 13:00

KristianNedelchev

I am happy to hear that you are enjoying your new notebook.  A lot of our newer notebooks have an option in the BIOS to change function key behavior.   You can enter the BIOS by starting the system while tapping F2.  Look for an advanced tab and then look for Function Key Behavior.  It may have something like multimedia key selected, change that back to function key and save the changes.  The system will reboot and once back into Windows and see if the keyboard is acting the way that you like it. 

TB

February 16th, 2011 06:00

Thanks! I managed to configure it from the BIOS and now its working the way I want it. I'm off to enjoy my DELL ^_^

1 Message

January 20th, 2012 10:00

Dear Terry.

I have bought recently an Dell Inspiron N5010. I have a problem with Caps Lock. Needs some seconds to be activated. Please can you indicate to me some way to avoid this gap?

Best regards

Leonat

2 Posts

March 23rd, 2012 15:00

I have the same problem Leonat. Did you ever get an answer?

934 Posts

March 23rd, 2012 16:00

Try disabling quickset.exe temporarily and see if it fixes the problem =>

Click the START-button,type msconfig.exe and press the ENTER-key

Choose the "Startup" tab and uncheck the box for "quickset"

You will have to restart the system.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 6th, 2012 14:00

I had a same problem but this works for me! Thanks ;) Icons dissapeared but I still have reminder with text only ("CAPS LOCK: ON"). I have no idea where it came from but know I am free of windows freezing ;)

No Events found!