Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 24th, 2017 06:00

Dell Inspiron 15 3537-0721 External Mic not being detected

My Dell Inspiron 15 3537-0721 has a single combo jack for both input and ouput audio and Im running Windows 8.1. I have a Turtle Beach Recon 50 Headset with a Microphone. When I plug in the headset the audio immediately switches over the headset and it works perfectly, but it does not even detect the mic input. All it detects is the built in microphone (Which doesnt work btw, Im not sure if this might be related). I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling all the drivers. Ive tried switching between the stock drivers, over to realtek and IDT drivers and then uninstalling everything and reinstalling the stock drivers again. Nothing seems to work, I cant even get the mic to be detected. Please let me know if there is any info Ive left out and I will gladly post it

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 25th, 2017 04:00

and IDT drivers

Hello. Look at this html page to see all of the drivers that Dell has released for the Inspiron 3537. The ones for Windows 8.1 have the letters In the "Supported OS" column, WB64A means the driver is for Windows 8.1 64 bits. WB32A is for Win8.1 32 bits.

If you scroll though the list, notice that there are not any IDT drivers. So if you are getting your drivers from a source that includes IDT drivers, then could be not the right drivers for the Inspiron 3537.

the stock drivers

I'm not sure about Windows 8.1, but from Vista through Win7 the native audio driver did not support the external mic jack, so I would just concentrate on the Realtek audio driver. Witht he Realtek driver, when you plug a device into the jack there is supposed to be a dialog that pops up on the screen, asking you to select the type of device, which would be headset. If your model has a Dell Audio app, look in it and if there is a box that says "enable audio popup dialog" make sure it is checked.

the built in microphone (Which doesnt work btw, Im not sure if this might be related)

In the Recording tab of the Windows Sound dialog, have you made "Microphone -- Realtek High Definition Audio" the default device? Doing that should enable the internal mic when there is not an external mic plugged in. (On some models the internal mic is listed as Microphone Array.)

No Events found!