Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 6th, 2012 18:00

Dell Inspiron 1520 Error requesting to reseat hard drive

I replaced the hard drive about three months ago. Now, about once every two weeks, I get a hard drive clicking noise. I get the noise for about two minutes, then I get the screen message that the hard drive isn't found and to reseat it. I shut down the laptop, reboot and all is well for one to two weeks. I ran the complete suite of hard drive diagnostic tools from Seagate and everything shows normal. If I had a bad new hard drive, shouldn't this be an every day problem? I replaced the drive due to an OE Dell 80 gig drive that died. I replaced it with a 500 gig Seagate, could that be the error problem? I don't remember ever having this problem with the old drive. Could the motherboard be going out? After replacing the drive, I would get a black screen saying the power level was incorrect and might not charge correctly. I found a replacement a/c adaptor and that was solved, for the most part. I do get an occassional same message about the power, not often. I can live with this problem but I hate a problem that keeps showing up, even if it is every two weeks.

I would appreciate any help I can get on this.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 7th, 2012 00:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community, regarding your issue, if the hard drive is making a clicking noise, it is a Hard Drive issue. Try running Dell 32-Bit Diagnostic to test your hard drive.(you need the drivers and utilities disc) When you turn on the computer, once you see the Dell Splash screen, keep hitting F12 (or tap), then choose Boot To USB/CD/DVD Rom Device, and run the 32-Bit Diagnostic. Use the Custom Test, and choose the Hard Drive. If an error occured within the test, it means the Hard Drive is bad.

Regarding the Power Issue, we recommend that you use a Dell AC adapter. Also, check if your Bios is updated. You can download it in Support.Dell.Com http://dell.to/ApSke3  hit drivers and download and choose your system type and download the bios.

Hope this helps, for further troubleshooting please contact regional technical support.

Thank you,

2 Posts

February 10th, 2012 05:00

Hi:

Thanks for your answer. I did not get the drivers and utilities disc as I bought the laptop off of Ebay. Is there a way to get another copy of this disc?

Thanks again.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 12th, 2012 19:00

Hi,

Your welcome.

Regarding the disc, I can check if I can help you get a copy. I added you as a friend please accept friend request.

Thanks,

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 12th, 2012 20:00

You should mention your operating system. Windows XP and older laptops can have a problem with hard drives that are much larger than the original. You should consider that this is the problem. It would have been better to have replaced the drive with a 120gb drive maximum instead of the 500gb. Oversized drives eventually fail. This could be the cause of the error message.

No Events found!