Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 3rd, 2014 01:00

Dell Inspiron 17r 5737 without graphic card.Can I get a new one?

I bought a laptop DELL 17r 5737 
My specs are 

I7 4th gen -4500U 

1TB HDD

16GB Ram

INTEL HD 4400 Graphics

17'3 inch WLED (1920x1080)

My laptop did not have a dedicated AMD graphic card Which other 5737 laptops had.I bought it on ebay

I searched all over the internet and found that everyone had a different dell inspiron 5737 laptop with

8GB graphics 

and 1600x900 display 

and an AMD graphic card 

Now if my laptop is the same one with the graphic card removed(may be). Do I still have a chance of buying a new graphic card for it..!! Since the mother board might be same with the empty graphic card slot in it.!! PLease help me..!!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 23rd, 2015 13:00

You would need to replace the system board, which on this model, means replacing the CPU as well, as both the CPU and GPU are permanently soldered to the mainboard.  That will make the replacement expensive - likely 30-50% of the initial system cost.  It will also void your warranty, if that's a consideration.

If the system is less than 21 days from shipment, return it and order the upgraded model you want.  If it's more than that, sell it and buy the upgraded system - it's the only way to preserve your warranty and it will likely cost less than the board replacement.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 30th, 2015 10:00

It's very likely that most i7-4500u models have the AMD GPU, but as above, it's a soldered-on chip - and the system, even with that relatively high end GPU, was available both with an without the AMD option.

You cannot add the AMD option - if you don't have it, you'll need to replace the board - and you'll likely have to call Dell to obtain a board.  The problem now that the GPU and CPU are both part of the mainboard, is that there are many different models of board - each specific to the CPU and GPU chosen at purchase.

26 Posts

January 23rd, 2015 10:00

I have the same computer and also want to know if I can get and install the AMD HD 8870M listed in the manual  I am pretty computer savy and have replaced hard drives, graphics cards and sound cards before.

1 Message

January 30th, 2015 09:00

Which system board would that be?

I also don't have the AMD dedicated, but I have the 1600x900 resolution and 8GB of ram. Same model, I don't know the motherboard. From what I've read, everyone else with my model has the intel 4400 graphics off the GPU with the AMD HD 8870M. I've yet to crack it open and look inside to see if there's an opening somewhere because I'm on my extended warranty for another month or so.

Thanks!

26 Posts

March 22nd, 2015 10:00

Is there such thing as a external GPU that can be added?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 22nd, 2015 11:00

No.  There are some, but they require hardware this system doesn't have to connect them. 

No Events found!