Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 29th, 2013 18:00

Dell Inspiron 3520 Internal Disk not Found

In the morning the pc was working just fine, i turned it off and then back on to change to a another operating system. Instead of taking me to the boot options it took me to a black screen saying;

intenal hard disk drive not found

to resolve this issue, try to reseat the drive.

No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry to boot, F2 enter Setup Menu, F5 enter PSA

I didnt did anything to the pc, it was just sitting in the table and so I doubt it may be related to the hardware as several forums say.

When I enter the BIOS it says on Fixed HDD; ST500LM012 HN-M500MBB                                              (500 Gb)

Here the details of the computer

Dell Inspiron 15N 3520

Windows 8 (with 8.1 Preview and Ubuntu)

uses UEFI

Core I5 2.5 GHz

4GB DDR3 Ram

500 GB of HDD (i think it has a 32GB SSD cache)

Please help, i have tried reading all over the internet and trying everything  that does not require opening the device (the device is new and is not easy as I would like it to be).

Can anyone tell me what to do or if it can be saved without any hardware change? It only has about 2 months and  i have important information inside (yeah no back up...)

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

July 29th, 2013 19:00

Hi joseph97svl,

Thank you for the update.

Since the HDD is detected in the BIOS and also the test passed, the hardware is functioning as designed. I suspect it is a software issue and you may consider restoring the system using the recovery discs.  Follow the instruction given in the following link to restore the system using the recovery media:

http://dell.to/12Z2Lkq  

In case the recovery discs are not created, send me a private message with the system service tag to assist you further.  Please click on my name and click Start Conversation to send me a private message.

September 16th, 2014 04:00

sorry  for my bad english.. press f12 boot option...

and click change boot mode setting

and then change legacy boot mode, secure boot off   to

to change legacy boot mode, secure boot on

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

Hi joseph97svl,

I am sorry about the inconvenience.  
I request you to check if the HDD is detected in the BIOS. Restart the system and at the Dell logo tap F2 key every two seconds. Check what is listed for Fixed HDD.

In case the HDD is detected in the BIOS, run diagnostics on the hardware components of the system. Refer to the following link to run diagnostics:

http://dell.to/OUGnqT

Reply with the status to assist you further.

I checked in the BIOS and it is listed, I also ran the diagnostics and it said it passed all the tests.

1 Message

January 30th, 2014 21:00

So what if it says 0 in bios for fixed HDD

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 31st, 2014 04:00

Unplug the system, remove the battery and disconnect and reconnect the hard drive. If that doesn't get the drive to be seen, it's toast and will need to be replaced.

8 Posts

May 31st, 2014 10:00

I have dell inspiron i5 ultrabook with windows 8. I wanted to install Ubuntu alongside with windows , but I could not do so as the disk had been used in raid , so I removed meta data by sudo command "sudo dmraid  -E -r /dev/sda in live mode ,after that I was able to install Ubuntu but I could not reboot in my windows. I still did not install Ubuntu. then I insert my recovery windows cd and reinstall the window but at the time of installation it shows only 1 unlocated 29 gb drive and nothing else ,but my lappy has 500 gb , I ignored it and continued to install window , after completetion I cant not find my remaining space not even in disk manager. Now I stuck in this problem. what should I do plz help me asap.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 31st, 2014 14:00

Did you install Linux to an ext2 or ext3 partition?  If you did, Windows will not see it.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Next question:  Does the system setup (F2 at powerup) see the physical hard drive?

8 Posts

No, I have not installed ubuntu yet . But I just re install my window as it was not booting after restart . And at that time of installation I only found 29gb space instead of 500gb . Now even in disk manager it show only 29gb space, in which there is only new window.
But when I boot to ubuntu via live cd it shows all drive and my data. But in window no one of these drives are there. I even can 't find any of my data.

May 31st, 2014 18:00

I do not own a restoration disc, and the recovery disc site tells me to register my product, even though it already is.

8 Posts

May 31st, 2014 21:00

yes it shows 500gb .

June 1st, 2014 12:00

There has to be something bugged with the secure boot, as when it is on, the error is received, but when it is off, my computer functions with it's hard drive normally.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

If you want to restore WIndows, you will need to contact Dell for the recovery media -- I suspect your command-line manipulation within Linux setup the disc in ext3 format, which Windows cannot read.

8 Posts

ok . so what should I do in order to make it readable by window?

No Events found!