Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 29th, 2017 13:00

External speakers sometimes work - and sometimes don't

I have a Dell Vostro with external speakers "Dell 2.0 Speaker System - AE2152"

All hardware is about 11 months old. Speakers have never been dropped or damaged. All wiring looks in good condition.

Problem: occasionally the external speakers will not turn on (the white LED will not show). If I disconnect the external speakers, the internal speakers work fine.

When the speakers will not turn on, a reboot does not solve the problem. After a day or two, when I try to turn them on, they work OK for a few days.

They don't fail while they are switched on. It's only when I switch the laptop on that I notice the LED might/might not not show.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 29th, 2017 18:00

:emotion-2:

If the LED is not white, the speakers are not turned on.Please check out the troubleshooting steps in Dell 2.0 Speaker AE215 User's Guide (pages 11 and 12) in the link below:

Support for Dell 2.0 Speaker System AE215 | Manuals ...

October 30th, 2017 04:00

Thanks for your response :-)

Firstly, there's an error in my OP::  "AE2152" should be "AE215"

Secondly,  I would like to add some more info, which could have been in my OP.

I have an Asus which is 2 months old. I have exactly the same problem when I use the AE215 speakers with the Asus:  the speaker LED will either turn white, or not turn white.

Regarding the advice in the manual:
If the power button LED is off, check if the USB cable is connected to a USB port. Connect the speaker to a USB port using the USB cable.

On the Vostro and the Asus, the USB cable is always connected to the same USB port - to help troubleshooting.

Press the power button, you will hear an alert tone and the LED on the power button turns white to indicate that the speaker is on.

On both laptops, pressing the power button will either cause the LED to turn white - or it will not turn white. It seems to be random.

On both laptops, removing the speaker connector from the jack causes the internal speakers to operate correctly.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 30th, 2017 10:00

When the LED turn white and the speakers are working, type Device Manager onto the search box, and then look for AE215 driver. I believe it should be listed under Audio inputs and outputs. If the LED is turn off, check if the driver is still listed under Audio inputs and outputs. If no, click on Action at the device manager taskbar, and then select Scan For Hardware Changes.  

Dell Inspiron 3048 windows 10, Dell AC 411 Stereo: Bluetooth & Wired

No Events found!