My laptop will not allow me to log in saying that my password is incorrect - I need to restore it to the factory settings - Please help me
First make sure you're asking about the Windows password - if it's a BIOS password, you'll need to call Dell (this is the power-on password) to have it reset.
To restore Windows, press F8 before Windows loads, and from the menu choose Repair and then "factory image".
if f8 doesn't get you the factory restore menu try
1. Boot the computer using your vista dvd.
2. Select Repair. Then select command line.
3. Goto your recovery drive and then to the tools folder by typing following on the command prompt :
4. Then type this on the command prompt :
imagex /apply d:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 c:\
5. This will start the recovery process which will complete itself in 30-45 minutes.
6. Type exit on the command prompt.
7. Reboot your computer from your hard disk.