Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2015 16:00

How to Switch display Adapter from Intel HD Graphic 5500 to Nvidia Geforce 920M

Hi,

I have Dell Inspiron 5000 series 5558 model laptop. Recently i have upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1.

I have also used driver & download web page on Dell portal to  download & install latest drivers for Windows 10 64-bit OS including BIOS. But the issue is i'm unable to view "Nvidia Geforce 920M display adapter" under desktop-->display settings-->Display-->advanced display settings and it shows "Intel HD Graphic 5500".

I have checked Device Manager --> Display Adapters and i can see both Nvidia GeForce 920M & Intel HD Graphics 5500.

Also under Nvidia Control Panel --> Manage 3D settings -->global settings is set to "High performance Nvidia Process".

Please advice how do i change settings under desktop-->display settings-->Display-->advanced display settings to use "Nvidia GeForce 920M" instead of "Intel HD Graphic 5500".

Nvidia GeForce 920M driver= 359.06

Please advice.

Regards,

Prashant

4 Posts

April 25th, 2016 03:00

I'm having the same problem.

Is there any way we could switch to Nvidia graphics processor?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 25th, 2016 04:00

The nVidia GPU will be used as needed when the system is set to operate as in the post above.

Note that it isn't easy to determine when it's in use, since the Intel GPU is ALWAYS active - all video data passes through it on its way to the screen.  The nVidia GPU is a co-processor - it is not and cannot be made the primary GPU in the system.

2 Posts

April 25th, 2016 11:00

i have the same problem in my 3000 series laptop i cant change in between but i couldnt do that on windows 7 either. As a result when i connect my laptop to external monitor it gets image signal from intel 4000 which is not ideal when you want to display in a 24' full hd monitor

1 Message

October 12th, 2016 11:00

If I could, I would give this *** no stars.  First of all, what value is a forum where you can only give positive answers.  If you can't find the answer to your question you should have a NO to click.  

I would like to know where the elusive geforce nvidia 920m graphics card is.  I purchased my computer  because it supposedly had this card, but it is undetectible and drivers will not install.  Since I'm out of warranty I can't even get an answer to my question without paying you.  Dell, I have purchased Many, Many computers over the years from you, and instead of help I get nothing but frustration.  I know no one is probably even going to read this, but just in case I can't get in touch with a real person who can understand English, (we ARE in America, after all), I am venting here.  I will never buy another Dell after this ***.  I spent more money on this laptop than I should have, hoping that it would provide me with what I needed, and it's not any better than any of your less expensive ones.  I'll go elsewhere from here on out.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 12th, 2016 13:00

"Supposedly" is specious.  Did the system every show the hybrid graphics adapter?  Mid-range models are offered in low-end Intel-only and Intel-nVidia or Intel-AMD hybrid graphics - generally, the $1K mark divides the two.  Anything much below $1K is Intel-only and the Intel-hybrid systems start just under that mark and go over $1K as features are added.

Open the device manager and check under Display Adapters.  If you see just a single entry for Intel, that's what you have.  If you see a second entry for nVidia, that shows a yellow splat next to it, the drivers are missing, but you have the hardware.  If you see both entries, you can choose between the two using the Optimus control panel or the context menu that shows up when you right-click on a program icon.  or:

Use the service tag to look up the initial configuration BEFORE going any further.  It will show a hybrid configuration -- however if you see the term UMA, it's Intel-only.

No Events found!