Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 23rd, 2010 10:00

How to locate updated driver?

Platform: Dell Inspiron Mini 10 Netbook (1012). OS: Windows XP.

I'm getting a driver crash (BSOD). Analyzing the dump file with WinDbg reveals that the problem is in one of the driver files for the Integrated Webcam. It's the Creative Technology Advanced Audio FX driver, and the image file is OAO17Afx.sys. The exception code is C0000090; floating point invalid operation.

The problem is that Creative Technology says "go to Dell", but I can't find anywhere on the Dell website where I could try downloading a new version of the driver. When I go to support.dell.com, and report the model and service tag for this box, the driver is not listed as one of the possible downloads. Any suggestions how I can proceed?

Thanks

Peter

2.5K Posts

April 23rd, 2010 10:00

Check with Microsoft on the web, they always have copies of certified drivers

15 Posts

April 23rd, 2010 12:00

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a good try, but was unable to find anything useful. The TechNet web pages are in some sort of transitional state where many menu items state that they no longer work, and then you get taken back to a sort of generic home page. Frustrating.

In any case, I'm dealing with a Dell product and, presumably, a driver licensed by Dell from Creative. Surely there's some way to get at this on the Dell web site. For that matter, surely there's some way to report to Dell that the driver has a bug?

4 Posts

April 24th, 2010 15:00

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a good try, but was unable to find anything useful. The TechNet web pages are in some sort of transitional state where many menu items state that they no longer work, and then you get taken back to a sort of generic home page. Frustrating.

In any case, I'm dealing with a Dell product and, presumably, a driver licensed by Dell from Creative. Surely there's some way to get at this on the Dell web site. For that matter, surely there's some way to report to Dell that the driver has a bug?

If you can get web cam central to stay open click on the Questionmark in the upper right corner and then select "Check for updates".  It will download a new version of the software.  Hope this helped.

No Events found!