Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 25th, 2012 01:00

How to restore from recovery partition for Dell XPS 17 l702x

Hi,

Lately i observed that my Windows 7 64bit  is slowed down, and it takes long to boot up, hence i thought of restoring Win7 OS from the factory recovery parttion.

When the laptop boots up i see only two options, either to press F2 (which is entering BOS) or F12 (which enters screen for boot sequence) but i did not find any option to restore my OS from recovery partition.

Could any one please help/advice on how do i restore recovery partition, what is the key i need to press for entering into recovery console.

If posssible please direct me if any link for step by step process.

Thank you,

Regards.

Raghu.

3.8K Posts

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. Use the below link to restore back to factory settings.

support.dell.com/.../document

Thank you.

13 Posts

Hi Royan,

Thank you for sharing the link.

I will give a try and get back here.

Regards.

Raghu.

13 Posts

September 25th, 2012 02:00

Hi,

I have one more question before i check / proceed with restoring to factory settings,

At the time of shipping my laptop had only two partitions C & D (total two 500 GB disks) with OS installed on C drive.

Later I had split/resized the partitions as C, D, E and F ensuring that there is no loss of the data.

And now if I want to restore back from recovery partition, would i see any issues as i have resized C partition.

and will it ask in which drive I want to restore OS.

Thank you,

Regards.

Raghu.

3.8K Posts

September 25th, 2012 03:00

Hi,

The D drive is the recovery partition. So if you have formatted the hard drive and created those partitions then I am afraid you have lost the recovery partition and will not be able to restore your computer. To check if you still have the recovery partition, click on start, right click on computer, click on manage, click on Disk Management, and check if you have Recovery as a partition. If you see Recovery as an option then you can restore back to factory settings. By default it will install the OS on the Primary Partition which is the C drive. Below is a picture of Disk Management.

Thank you.

13 Posts

September 25th, 2012 11:00

Hi Royan,

Thank you,

Actually I did not format my hard drives but I have only resized the partitions into four (C,D,E and F) and that time I made sure that no data was lost.

And now I can see the recovery partition is still there when I look into disk management. Please see the below screen shot.

And via boot menu I had followed the below procedure and tried to recover the computer , I see a message that Image is corrupted.

But in actual I can see recovery partition is there, request you to please look into below screens.

When I tried to manually locate the recovery partition/system backups, the files and folders  are there but the next button is never enabled even though I selected each folder and tried.

Please help me how do I fix this and recover my laptop back.

Thank you,

Regards.

Raghu.

13 Posts

September 25th, 2012 22:00

Hi,

Could i get any help on my above issue.

Thank you,

Regards.

Raghu.

13 Posts

September 26th, 2012 08:00

Hi all,

Any suggestion/advice on my above concern is appreciated.

Thank you,

Regards.

Raghu.

3.8K Posts

September 26th, 2012 20:00

Hi Raghu,

It looks like the recovery partition is corrupt, and you will need to Manually reinstall Windows to fix this. Use the below link to manually install windows.

Thank you.

13 Posts

September 27th, 2012 03:00

Hi Royan,

Thanks,

Actually I do not have the Dell recovery DVD's, I only have One DVD "Dell drivers and utilities"

As per my knowledge/experience is concerned as I did not touch the recovery partition at the time of resizing, ideally it should not have happened.

Is there any way to fix recovery partition if it is corrupt, as the files and folders are still there.

Or as an alternative, Is it possible to download recovery partition content from the Dell Website?  

Please help me through this issue.

Regards.

Raghu.    

3.8K Posts

September 27th, 2012 03:00

Hi,

There is no option to download the recovery image. If it says the image is corrupt then only option is to reinstall windows. Since you do not have the recovery discs, you can create recovery discs using Dell Data Safe Local Backup. Check the below link for information.

Thank you.

13 Posts

September 27th, 2012 07:00

Hi,

Thanks,

I'm afraid even if I  create a Ghost Image and use it again, the same black screen issue before logging might be still there.

I wanted to use the recovery partition because overcome/fix the issue which I stated in above posts.

BTW what would be the possible reasons for the recovery image to get corrupted, till today I did not use/test recovery image/partition .

Might be at the time of creating recovery partition, Dell did not verify if the the recovery partition is OK, before shipping it to me.

Is there any free tool, which will extract the files/folders from the hidden recovery partition and make it into bootable ISO.

I have also used Diagnostic tool (F12) to check, if the black screen issue before logging into windows might be because of HW problem too.

But the test results did not indicate any problem with HW and all tests were through and passed.

And Incase if I require further help, I want to know if the warranty covers the rebuilding of recovery partition.

Or Warranty is only for Hardware, please clarify.

Thank you,

Regards.

Raghu.

3.8K Posts

October 1st, 2012 03:00

Hi,

If you are in the US, use the below link to request for an OS disc.

support.dell.com/.../backupcd_form

Anyother country, contact Dell Technical Support in your region, or send me a Private Message, by clicking on my user name, add me as a friend, and send me your Service Tag.

Thank you

3.8K Posts

October 1st, 2012 03:00

Hi,

If you get that message that the Recovery Partition is corrupt, the only option is to manually install. There is no way you can download the partition or rebuild the partition. The warranty on your computer covers only the hardware. However you will get support for software included on your computer.

Thank you.

13 Posts

October 13th, 2012 15:00

Hi Royan,

Thanks for the reply,

I have been quite busy lately and wasn't able to check this forum.

After some fiddling I found that the AV suite was causing the problem after a recent update of the program.

And when I had uninstalled it, the issue was almost fixed ( almost only because, before my Laptop would take around 3 minutes to boot now it decreased to 1 to 1.5 minutes).

Might be some of residual entries are still left in the registry, i'll check  through it and try if the boot time can be still decreased.

Actually I ordered the Laptop at US, and now I'm in India.

And I thank you for the suggestions and tries to help me with the issue.

Thank you,

Regards.

Raghu.

1 Message

January 8th, 2013 21:00

Hi,

Thank you for the link! It will definitely prove to be very useful!

I have the XPS 17 with the 2 x 500GB HDD. If I restore to factory settings using the Recovery Drive does it also format the D drive. (Windows 7 on C drive).

Can you also please advise on how I can install Windows XP for dual boot and use the recovery Drive to reinstall Windows 7. I have some software that won't run on a 64 bit operating system so I need XP installed as well. I was thinking that I format both drives, install XP on D Drive and then use the Recovery drive to reinstall Windows 7 on the C drive. Is this possible.

And finally does DELL have recommended software that I can use to create a Recovery Drive of the system once I have both XP and Windows installed on my laptop?

Thanking you in advance!

John

No Events found!