Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

F

10 Posts

November 22nd, 2007 10:00

Inpiron 8200 - Screen is messed up - Picture included

http://flickr.com/photos/12275566@N07/2054110901/

I have a ATI Radeon 9000 Mobility. This appeared one morning out of the blue. It is affected by applying pressure on the underside of the computer. It can even go away for a short while. I have tried reseating the video card but that did not fix the problem.

The only thing i can come up with that i have'nt tried is using some kind of solvent for cleaning the graphics card pins and connectors.
Or reapplying thermal tape to the gpu, beacuse the gpu is in contact with the copper heatsink on the underside of the keyboard. My computer is several years old so i thought the thermal tape already there has stopped working or something.

Does anybody recognise this? Did you solve it?

Lots of gratitude to anyone who helps!

10 Posts

It appears on other monitors to, that is why i could make a screen capture of it i guess. I would like to test things out before i replace the video card. Radeon 9000 M, is quite expensive and the best card for my computer. And as i said, applying pressure to the underside sometimes makes it go away for a while. That tells me it might be worthwhile looking for other methods to fix the problem.

Message Edited by FunkeXMix on 11-22-2007 06:38 AM

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Does the same corruption appear on an external display? If not, reseat the ribbon cable to the display panel. If that doesn't fix it, the display panel needs repair or replacement.

If the external monitor shows the same fault as the internal, replace the video card.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 22nd, 2007 12:00

Try reseating the card - if that doesn't do it, it will need replacement.

10 Posts

November 22nd, 2007 15:00

Ok thanks, but i wan't to try putting on some new material on the gpu so it connects better to the heatsink under the keyboard. From researching this further i found out what i need is a thermal gap filler. Often used in electronics to fill the gaps between the heatsink and the component that needs to be cooled.

10 Posts

November 23rd, 2007 12:00

Im gonna unofficialy close this thread since some new discoveries make most of this invalid.

Here is a link that might help alot of people with faulty graphic cards. It has nothing to do with my problem.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_garbled_screen

Message Edited by FunkeXMix on 11-23-2007 08:45 AM

3 Posts

November 24th, 2007 05:00

This is happening on my 8200 laptop with ATI Radeon 9000 too. Confirmed issue is also occurring with external display. I have tried re-seating the video card twice. First time it temporarily fixed the issue and next day started to happen again. 2nd time I tried cleaning the contacts with tape head cleaning fluid. I'll see what happens tomorrow. Read link you provided. Let me know if you come across any more info that would be useful. Thanks.

11 Posts

February 6th, 2008 01:00

I have the same issue but no ATI Radeon 9000. I never upgraded the card - stock card is Nvidia GeForce 2. My screen flickered for about a month and then completely went blank. I bought an external monitor - big mistake! it still happened. The external is getting messed up. I also reseated the ribbon but that didn't help.

I am considering replacing the card or vga adapter (correct me here please) but i don't know if i should fix the pc or buy new. The USB ports are 1.0, PCI cards are broke, mother is outdated, internet connection (DSL) is flaky; sometimes disconnects and have to reset router. I'm not a gamer don't need anything super fast but I'm weary of Vista -- don't like the fact that it eats memory and necessitates 2gig. then again, if i buy a new pc i don't want to be left behind.

Nucpanos2

My System: Inspiron 8200 laptop
P4 Mobile CPU 1.60GHz
2048MB PC2100 SODIMM

Internal FUJITSU 60Gb
External Fantom Titanium 2.0USB 120Gb
TOSHIBA CDRW/DVD 40x/24x/8x
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
NVIDIA GeForce2 Go 32Mb

3 Posts

February 6th, 2008 07:00

I ended up buying a NVIDIA 64MB GeForce4 440 Go (Dell part K0053) from ebay for $80. Installed it on 18Dec07 and screen is back to normal with no issues since. With the old ATI Radeon 9000 I was also getting a blue screen crash (Ati2dvag.dll error) when I played or edited video (related to ATI and MS SP2 upgrade) - this has not happend since.

11 Posts

February 6th, 2008 23:00

thanks for the help

Nucpanos2

My System: Inspiron 8200
P4 Mobile CPU 1.60GHz
2048MB PC2100 SODIMM
Internal FUJITSU 60Gb
External Fantom Titanium 2.0USB 120Gb
TOSHIBA CDRW/DVD 40x/24x/8x
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
NVIDIA GeForce2 Go 32Mb