Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2017 21:00

Inspiron 5558 SE Monitor Flickering/Blanking (NOT software issue, cables NOT loose)

I have an Inspiron 5558 SE and the monitor started severely flickering a while back. Not just a screen refresh flicker, but a full blacked out flicker as if it is being turned on and off rapidly.

When first opening the computer I will have to move the monitor back and forth, press it down securely, and otherwise attempt a number of things to even attempt to get the flickering stop. This clearly indicates it is a physical issue. (It occurs regardless of windows being booted normally, safe mode, in diagnostics modes, during boot itself, etc. So it is not a driver or other software issue.) Additionally, the cables are not loose. I opened it, and secured them(they didn't seem to be loose to begin with, but I unplugged and replugged them in, and secured with more tape). It fixed nothing.

My only lead left is that the monitor looks like it might be ever so slightly bowed outward, which I am unsure why this would cause this particular symptom so am unsure if it is related..

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

September 12th, 2017 07:00

Thank you for your message.

This seems to be an issue caused by the LVDS cable.

Please connect an external monitor to the notebook & check if the flickering is seen on the monitor.

If there is no flickering this is an issue with the hardware.

Try to move the LCD back & forth & check if the issue persists.

Please follow instructions in this manual (page 75) to remove the LCD bezel & check if there is any damage to the display cable, follow steps on page 85 to check if the cable is worn out.

For my records, please click on my Dell username & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address. We will look into this and assist you within our support boundaries.

2 Posts

September 12th, 2017 08:00

Information requested is sent. External monitors work fine (tested via HDMI on both generic TV displays as well as a desktop monitor). Moving the LCD immediately triggers the flicker but not on the external monitor.

The cable looks fine when opened up, and there has never been any physical trauma to the computer.

No Events found!