Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

14 Posts

December 5th, 2003 00:00

Inspiron 8100 Keyboard Numeric Keys Stop Working

All of a sudden today I am not getting a response when I key a number.  Only 5 and 6 will work on the top row of keys, the special characters don't work either, except for % and ^ whcih are on the 5 and 6 keys.  So I thought I could limp along using NumLock.  With NumLock on I get a j when I key a 1, k when I key 2, etc.  Right now I am using a wireless keyboard to key the numbers into this posting.    Then I did a system restore to a checkpoint of yesterday, that made no differences.   Any idea on how to get the number keys working again?  Thx 

36 Posts

December 5th, 2003 03:00

did you happen to spill liquid on the keyboard? Feed me some details

Josh

14 Posts

December 5th, 2003 03:00

No liquids, no anything spilled on the keyboard.  Since I did that post I loosened the screws on the back which have a K next to them and then tightened the screws.  I also rolled back one further system checkpoint.  Now the number keys across the top are working, but NumLock is still not working, When I turn on NumLock (and the LED is lit) and key "0123456" using the keypad area with blue numbers I get "mjkluio"! 

Thx for any help you can give me on any of this.

36 Posts

December 5th, 2003 04:00

Well, if a System Restore fixed it partially, it is possible that you have some sort of a virus. You can run a free virus scan at Symantec.com and you can also download Spy Sweeper free at download.com .  After running both of these scans, try your keyboard again. If this doesnt fix it there may be a corrupted driver or something.

Best of luck!

Josh

PS: one more question, did you recently update your BIOS?

Message Edited by ziggy2 on 12-05-2003 12:42 AM

14 Posts

December 5th, 2003 20:00

I have not updated the BIOS in a long time, so long I don't recall how to do it.    The top row numereic keys are working fine today, the NumLock key still does not lock the blue numeric values for high volume numeric keying.
No Events found!