Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 5th, 2013 11:00

Inspiron M5010 - black screen with 7 beeps

My laptop, the Inspiron M5010, stopped working all of the sudden...now I have a black screen and 7 beeps. Which I understand is basically morse code for saying the motherboard is not working. I have had this laptop for exactly 2 yrs....from what I have read on the forum this seems to be a VERY common issue for this Dell model. Sounds like a hardware defect that happens right around the 2 yr mark and of course AFTER the warranty runs out. I do not understand why Dell is not actively fixing these computers for their consumers????? Obivously it is a faulty hardware issue since I am not the only consumer having the exact same issue w/ this model. I have tried many avenues of contacting Dell to get my computer fixed. And of course all avenues lead to fee based repair. I will not be purchasing another Dell computer ever again!!!!!

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

March 5th, 2013 23:00

Hi wentdj,

I am sorry for the inconvenience; The 7 beep code indicates that there is a processor/motherboard failure. Try releasing the static power and check the system is working. Follow the steps below.

Switch off the system; remove the battery, ac adapter and the power cable. Press and hold down the power button for thirty seconds to drain any excess static power. In case the problem persists please send me the system service tag in a private chat, so I can help you in further.

Click on my username select start conversation and send me the details.

1 Message

January 14th, 2014 04:00

Senthil S I read this post & am having the same problem with my computer can you assist I tried everything you posted the service tag is  please reply to my email     Thank you for your time.

No Events found!