Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2011 20:00

Laptop makes loud squealing sound

Since the day I bought my Dell Inspiron m5030 laptop with built in web-cam, when I go to shut the lid, it makes a very loud and annoying squealing sound. It has also started doing this without the lid being closed, when just sitting on the bed or table in various places and houses. It sounds like when you put a microphone next to a speaker, that feedback sound you get. I can also mute all speakers and it stops, but this does little to help me, as I use this computer for school and need to be able to hear video clips along with recorded lectures for class. Does anyone know what I can do, or how to fix this?

P.S. I have tried shutting off the web-cam, along with turning off the microphone and it still makes this noise.. I am on the verge of losing my mind, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 7th, 2011 05:00

If the noise is not being caused by the built-in mic on the front then I don't don't know what it is.

> Try putting several layers of  tape over the mic hole -- it is a little hole a bit to the left of the headphone jack.

> Try inserting a plug into the external mic jack. It doesn't have to be a mic, it could be a headphone jack. This might turn off the internal mic.

P.S. I have tried shutting off the web-cam, along with turning off the microphone

I don't have any details about the mic settings on your model. On some of the other models they turn off the internal mic by setting the external mic as the default, something like this:

Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Manage Audio Devices > Recording (tab) > right click in recording and select Show Disabled Devices > click on the (now shown) External Mic and click Enable > set External Mic as Default

1 Message

August 20th, 2011 07:00

OMG!!! i have the same laptop, an the same problem! do you no how to fix it yet! or why it is making the noises, it is so annoying,,, an i think its making my bird def! lol

1 Message

November 21st, 2015 22:00

My Dell laptop which is about 18 months old is sceaming everytime, discovered its the micorphone, then the screenjumps around. HELP

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 23rd, 2015 05:00

Hello. The microphone should not be sending audio through the laptop's speakers. Check the configuration. Open the Sound properties (Control Panel>Sounds) and click on the Recording tab. Find the microphone in the list of devices. Right click on the microphone to open the context menu. Click on Properties. Click the Listen tab. Make sure that the box "Listen to this device" is NOT checked. Then click Apply & OK to save any changes.

No Events found!