Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 13th, 2012 13:00

Latitude laptop backlit keyboard (not working)

Hi All,

Decided to to upgrade my E6320 with an backlit keyboard so i got an new unit from Parts-people.

Now installed to new board in my E6320 but the backlit function doesn't work. everything else on the keyboard works like it should but no backlit. downloaded a lot of new drivers like "dell system manager" and tried so many things.

I'm starting to doubt if they send me an actual backlit keyboard, but it has an capslock button with an lighted led which works and my old keyboard does not have this. so i'm geusing this isnot the issue?

Any input help would be great.

Thans a lot for checking.

Hildo

1.8K Posts

November 13th, 2012 21:00

Hi Hildo,

E-series Latitude portable systems have the option of a backlit keyboard. With the E3 series keyboard, there are several ways to set the backlit keyboard illumination. One can either press + to adjust the illumination. The other way is to adjust the illumination through Dell Control Point (DCP). From the main DCP screen, choose ‘Keyboard Backlight’. The settings you can adjust are as follows:

• Brightness:-

1. 0%(Off)
    2. 25%
    3. 50%
    4. 75%
    5. 100%

• Activation Settings:-

1. Keyboard light will automatically time out if there is no activity for certain time frame where the setting can be preset from 5 seconds up to 5 minutes.
    2. Resume lighting from time out with default option as 'Keyboard'. This means whenever user presses any key on the keyboard, the keyboard backlight will light up provided the brightness is not set to 0%(Off). The other option available is 'All internal input devices'. If this option is chosen, other internal input devices like the touchpad, will also turn on the keyboard backlight on one touch.

You can also install Dell control point for your computer from link: http://dell.to/XDJhTF 

Steps to download:-

• Click on “Download Now”.
  • Save the driver on your desktop.
  • Once the driver is downloaded on the desktop, right click on it and select “Run as administrator”.
  • Follow the prompts on screen and restart your computer.

Please let me know the findings. 

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

November 14th, 2012 04:00

Hello Chinmay,

Thanks for your sugestion, i did as you said and installed it by saving it on the desktop and ran it as admin.

When i open the system and device manager i only have the display settings, hotkeys and storage options there is no

keyboard backlit tab.

Also the Fn right arrow does not do anything.

Best Regards,

Hildo

1.8K Posts

November 16th, 2012 02:00

Hi Hildo,

I am looking into this issue. Please allow me 3 - 4 business days. I'll keep you posted with the details. 

13 Posts

November 16th, 2012 16:00

I'm having a similar issue, the backlight worked fine and suddenly its not working at all.

But my control panel only has a slider, that doesn't do anything. Ver 1.7.1000

What is the current version for Latitude E6410 series on Win 7? Or what was the original version?

Monty

1.8K Posts

November 20th, 2012 03:00

Hi Monty,

Previous versions of the Dell control point were: 1.5.00000 , 1.4.00001, 1.4.00000 and the current version is 1.7.10000. You can uninstall (from control panel) and re-install the Dell Control point driver and application on your computer and see if it makes any difference. 

Link to download Dell Control Point security driver pack: http://dell.to/T8YXs7 

Link to download Dell Control Point system manager: http://dell.to/QVmAIF 

Steps to download drivers:-

• Click 'Download file' to download the list to a folder you will designate.
  • Click 'Save'. Then designate the folder you would like to save the files to.
  • Once you have designated the folder you would like to save your files to, Click 'OK'.
  • Selected downloads will automatically start downloading. Next is Installation.
  • To start installation, Click Open folder. Right-click a downloaded file and select the option to ‘Run as administrator’.
  • A small window will appear with 'Continue' and 'Exit' buttons, click 'Continue'.
  • In the Select the folder where you want to unzip the files to window, click OK.
  • If a message appears asking to create a folder, click 'Yes'. If a message appears asking to overwrite the folder, click 'Yes to All'.
  • In the All files were successfully unzipped window, click OK.
  • A new window will appear, follow the prompts that appear to finish the installation.
  • Restart your computer. 

The settings for the illumination are adjusted in Dell ControlPoint (DCP). From the main DCP screen choose Display and Devices, then click Manage Display & Devices. This brings up the Display Manager window. Hover the mouse pointer over the Keyboard Backlight menu item. 

Please reply with the findings. 

1.8K Posts

November 22nd, 2012 21:00

Hi Hildo,

I am still into this issue. In order to assist you in a better way, I would need the Service Tag and the current location of computer.  

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Please reply with findings. 

13 Posts

November 26th, 2012 09:00

Thanks Chinmay,

Before I reran the install. I went to pre-bios boot-loader and ran diagnostics on the keyboard. It failed. I removed the keyboard from the laptop and cleaned/reseated all the connectors. Reran diagnostics till it passed. When the keyboard is working correctly it will back-light on POST, at least my does now.  Then the utility will control the features as designed.

Monty

1.8K Posts

November 28th, 2012 02:00

Hi Monty,

I am glad that the issue is resolved.

Please feel to get in touch in case you have further questions.

1 Message

May 21st, 2013 17:00

hi,

I have a Dell Latitude E6320, and the back light of the keyboard doesn't work. I installed the DCP  from the link above but i don't have the option Keyboard Backlight, only the other three. Can you please help? i remember it was working before...

Thanks,

A

1 Message

October 15th, 2013 18:00

Hi ACRIVII,

Try to remove the keyboard first, make sure the battery and power supply is unplugged. Check the connection of the small board underneath the keyboard. Re-install the keyboard and power the laptop on. The backlit should be working. If it's not then the small board is faulty, All u have to do is claim the warranty if still valid.

Regards,

mrsyf

1 Message

January 26th, 2014 13:00

New here

I obtained and installed a backlit keyboard for my refurbished E6510 which came with a non lit keyboard.  The new keyboard would not light. I installed all the above software - still nothing. After reading further I decided to pull the keyboard back out and check the connectors. I noticed the three brass connectors appeared to have some very small back dots on them so I VERY GENTLY used a pencil eraser to clean them off and brighten up the contact surface. Reinstalled the keyboard I now have working back light. Maybe this will shorten someone else's quest.

April 27th, 2014 15:00

i have nvidia control panel so i have to uninstall this 1st right ?

1 Message

October 5th, 2014 21:00

I personally don't own a dell, never have, so I don't know if the rule still applies but;

Typically the "Hotkey" driver controls the laptop keyboard features like backlit keys. Not all laptops are the same so each Hotkey driver is different as the manufacturers will be different. Check "Programs and Features" to see your version and publisher. Mine is "Hotkey 7.0026", publisher of "Notebook", size of 26.4 MB.

Take note of what you currently have and search for the latest version for your current operating system. Since you changed the keyboard from original manufacturer, you may need to track down a different manufacturers hotkey driver to match your new keyboard manufacturer.

Note - I had issues with overwriting the old version so you may need to delete the old hotkey driver before installing the new one like I had to.

Hope this helps - Good Luck.

1 Message

November 5th, 2015 22:00

Hi Chinmay !

After we installed to that download file we are not get any changes .. we are using dell latitude E6410. can u please let me the STEPS how to go resolve the Dell key board back light problem .

Thanks and regard

Finny Kumar

<ADMIN NOTE: Phone number removed per privacy policy>.(India)

1 Message

June 13th, 2017 03:00

This has worked for me. Many thanks.

press + to adjust the illumination.

No Events found!