Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2010 11:00

Looking for a new Dell Laptop

I am the happy owner of a 2006 Dell 6400/1505, but it is time to upgrade. I have been looking at the XPS line, but I am open to any of Dell's models.

I currently have a 15" display, but a 17" is not out of the question. The things is, the 17" models seem to have more options as to maximum RAM, etc than the 15" ones, at least from what I can tell on the Canadian Dell site. I would like to get about 8GB RAM, but have the option to add more at a later time.

I am looking to spend $1500 to $1800 max.

Any thoughts & suggestions would be appreciated! :emotion-1:

2 Intern

• 

147 Posts

November 21st, 2010 12:00

I took delivery of an XPS-17 (L701X) 10 days ago and we like it very much.  It is a very powerful system.  I believe you can keep an XPS -17 below or at the top of your price range if you keep the add-ons to a minimum, such as extended warranties and other logistics goodies.

One word of warning.  That model, and all other XPSs that have the Intel Core i7-740QM processor do NOT support wireless display (Wi/Di).  The Dell sales rep told me that my system, in fact ALL XPS laptops supported Wi/Di, so I also bought a Netgear Push2TV adapter for the HDTV.  When I asked for Tech Support help when the Wi/Di function would not install, they also had been told that all XPS systems were Wi/Di capable.  It was only many hours of anguish between Tech Support and myself  that the Dell XPS Product Management Team finally informed Tech Support that any system with that processor did not support Wi/Di. 

The Intel website that addresses Wi/Di has a list of the processors and other hardware that are required to support Wi/Di.  That site also has a list of the various computer manufacturers and models that support Wi/Di.  Any computer or hardware not on that list will not support Wi/Di.

517 Posts

November 21st, 2010 14:00

Thanks Hank. Wireless Display is not a deal-breaker for me...I'm looking mainly at getting the most bang for my buck since this will be my main system for the next 5 years or so.

No Events found!