Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 9th, 2012 14:00

No startup - Vostro 1700 - Caps/Scroll Lock LEDs Blink

Dell Vostro 1700 notebook.

Ran very well until I tried to restart it last night. Instead of restart it powered down.

Pressing power button gives the following:

Power light on steady
•HD flashes light on briefly (before it even tries to post/bios) then off
•Num lock LED on steady
Caps lock & Scroll Lock LEDs blink together for about a minute then the system turns off on its own. (System doesn't respond to pushing or holding the power button during this.)
•Nothing appears on screen, apparently not posting
•Normal sound from internal fan while it's on (big fan not on, but that's normal)
•No system beeps

The main HD is SSD so I wouldn't hear that if it was trying to use it. There is a 2nd physical HD.

I've tried to research this and threads offer a variety of indications and suggestions to fix.

Such as:
»en.community.dell.com/support-fo···826.aspx
»en.community.dell.com/support-fo···229.aspx

Support threads suggest it could be:
• RAM chips/sticks or RAM slots
• CMOS battery
• Motherboard
• Battery, etc.

What I've tried (none of these has changed any symptoms):
• Powering up on battery or AC only
• Reseating both RAM chips, swapping them, booting with one RAM or the other only
• Reseating both HDs
• Opened up whole unit & dusted out, reseating connectors, etc.
• Fn + Power on
• Took out and reconnected CMOS battery

Interesting CMOS battery note: The date stamped on the tape/casing over the CMOS battery is 7 10 12. That's tomorrow's date and it died almost exactly at midnight on 7-9-2012. Odd coincidence? This is the original CMOS battery and the computer is perhaps 5 years old.

I would expect a dying or dead CMOS battery to not cause this drastic a symptom. (Rather, I'd expect it to lose the internal clock date & time, but still boot up) However, I did read in support threads that CMOS might be a cause of this issue. (Question, can I buy a standard CR2032 battery and insert it into that blue casing with wires that the Dell CMOS is inside of?)

Note: I know I'm overdue for a new computer and would be OK with getting one. The reason I want to fix this one is that I don't think new Windows notebooks offer the super high resolution 1920 x 1080 17" displays like this one has anymore.

There was nothing to indicate that something was going wrong with this notebook and there were no drops or spills. It had been dusted out a month or two ago and all was fine. It was in my lap on a sofa at midnight and suddenly wouldn't reboot.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 9th, 2012 17:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

If Led is On-Flash-Flash it indicates a memory error. Try a known good ram on this computer. Since you already did swapping and booting 1 ram troubleshooting. Worst case scenario is motherboard failure. You can also try replacing the CMOS battery since it can cause a failure. You can definitely buy a standard Coin Cell battery. Make sure voltage is the same.

Let me know if you need further help,

34 Posts

July 10th, 2012 06:00

Elijah, thanks.

I get ON-Flash-Flash with any RAM combo including no RAM, no HDs, etc.

I think it's the motherboard.

For the CMOS,  it's in a blue sheath that is very tight. It looks like blue painter's tape but is probably more like opaque blue plastic wrap that is shrunk onto the (also blue) battery with a little heat. There are two openings in the wrap...one side has 3 wires (red, white, black) to the plug and the other has nothing. Printed on the blue is:

CR2032/USTC

FM5+3V

7 10 12

It looks like I could take a blade to the blue wrap and release the battery to see how the wires are attached to it.

It looks a lot like this one for sale with the wires attached:

»www.zlectronic.com/product/CMOS-···721.html

Though I'd just like to buy a generic CMOS CR2032 locally ...just not sure if it can be attached to these wires simply or not. Thank you.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 11th, 2012 00:00

Hi,

I agree with you, I think its the motherboard.

I understand what you mean about the CMOS battery (With Blue plastic wrap) I think this is a special part wherein its an kit for CMOS. You can check with our parts department (18002884410) or http://www.parts-people.com/

Goodluck!

1 Message

August 29th, 2012 18:00

My inspiron 1545 about 2.5 years old is not turning on  when connected with ac supply with and without battery and there is no sign of led indicators, its like completly dead.

About 3 months earlier windows was showing "consider replacing your battery "but i didnt changed the battery and used the laptop for 2 months and now its dead. Now i Dont know whether only the battery is the problem or the charger or the motherboard or something else.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 29th, 2012 19:00

Is the LED on the AC adapter ON?  If not, replace the adapter.  If it is, and the system shows no sign of life, the mainboard is faulty.

No Events found!