Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 12th, 2010 07:00

Number 9 (white 9 on black background) in notification area of taskbar. Clicking on it does nothing. What is it for?

This icon does nothing when left/right clicked.  What is it?  Do I need it?

1 Message

October 20th, 2012 15:00

It's definitely the NumLk key on my new Dell Inspiron. 

Cheers

5.2K Posts

January 12th, 2010 09:00

Unset the number lock and see if the 9 goes away.

14 Posts

February 10th, 2010 15:00

I am having the same problem.

No changing the numlock doesn't change anything.

Running Win 7 64 bit on Dell 1747 laptop, with i7 cpu and 8gb.

I have killed off all processes that I know, or gotten out of the program to see if I could figure out which process it is, but that hasn't worked.

11 Posts

February 10th, 2010 16:00

I have the same notification showing on my 1747, windows 64 bit, i7, and pressing the "NumLk" above the keypad #7 turns the notification off (the white 9 on the black background)

6 Posts

July 29th, 2011 09:00

I have Dell XPS 15z and my keyboard does not have a keypad nor a numlock key.  How do I remove this icon?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 29th, 2011 11:00

quickset.exe which is specific to Dell. Not sure what the 9 means.

If you bring up task manager and kill quickset the 9 goes away.

Press the num lock key (may be in conjunction with the Fn key) and it will go away.

Description: Dell taskbar icon allowing you to quickly change settings
File Location: C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
Startup Type: This startup entry is started automatically from a Run, RunOnce, RunServices, or RunServicesOnce entry in the registry.

September 22nd, 2011 21:00

Hi, have anyone fixed it??? I already bought an XPS L502X and before I installed Win7 SP1 the blackbox icon for QuickSet appear. I talked with Dell Support Centre and they told this is a bug for this version of QuickSet.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 23rd, 2011 06:00

Uninstall Quickset.  Voila problem solved.

April 5th, 2012 08:00

I have an XPS 15 can just got this icon last week after owning this laptop for a year. Why have an icon that doesn't do anything. I have quickset keys above the keyboard. Looking into this I saw a newer bios so I downloaded and installed it. Icon went away. Thought I solved the problem. Next day it was back.

1 Message

December 11th, 2012 16:00

i have dell xps l502x and for sure i don't have numlk key , so from start menu in windows 7 choose on screen keyboard and the click options and turn on numeric keypad then ok then turn off the numlock "turned from white to black in the on screen keyboard" , then uninstall quickset and install it again

3 Posts

May 8th, 2013 11:00

Did this work for you?  Do you have an external keyboard and mouse?

4.4K Posts

May 8th, 2013 22:00

Hi JLiCom,

Welcome to the Community,

May I know your full system model and Windows version.

Have you tried the steps suggested given on this thread?

Thank You

3 Posts

May 9th, 2013 07:00

Hi Rashon and thanks,

Device:  XPS L502X

(Numlock only appears virtually w/ on screen keyboard - not on physical keyboard though I am sure everyone knows)

HD recently replaced by Dell third party support in my area, though the '9' is a recent development and I have tweaked with the Quickset on the first HD and nothing ever happened.

I actually thought I had did it myself with some fat fingering.  It didn't seem to affect anything, yet bothered me being there and not understanding its function.  :)

Per Posted by SpeedStep replied on 07-29-2011 11:08 AM:

>>>I did just kill the Quickset in task manager and it has worked.  Have not yet rebooted/restarted.

Posted by Osama.Nassar replied on 12-11-2012 6:02 PM:

>>>Should Quickset be removed and reinstalled/updated as a permanent fix?

1.  Do you know actual root cause and corrective action?  Is it a Numlock thing?

2. Should I upgrade my bios (another post) as a matter of preventive maintenance?  Will I get some value from doing so?

Are you sorry you asked?  :)

With kind regards,

Jeffrey Lane

4.4K Posts

May 9th, 2013 23:00

Hi Jeffery,

We are here to help and I am happy to answer your queries and provide assistance.

It is a Numlock symbol as far it has been reported is related to the Dell QuickSet utility.It does not affect the functionality of the system.

Most of the times uninstalling Dell QuickSet  and reinstalling the updated version fixes this issue.To download the updated version use this link:lt.dell.com/.../lt.aspx

Note:Before reinstalling Dell QuickSet utility uninstall the existing one (Programs and Features),reboot system and then reinstall.

About the BIOS it is recommended to use the latest BIOS available for your system model.For your system model version A12 is the updated  BIOS available on our support website: lt.dell.com/.../lt.aspx

Check the BIOS version on your system(tap F2 on start up) and if you see a older version installed then you may update the BIOS.

Note:While updating BIOS AC adapter should be plugged in,battery should be adequately charged(more then 10%),all external peripherals(USB devices) should be disconnected from the system.Do not turn of the system while BIOS is getting updated.

Let me know how it goes.

Thank You

No Events found!