Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2013 17:00

Please plug-in a supported device - integrated webcam NOT working on my Inspiron 14z

I'm still under warranty, but wanted to try the Forum first.  I was an IT pm and once did desktop support ha!  Well I've done everything from uninstalling webcam application to installing it, updating drivers to removing usb, although it is an integrated webcam and this bloody thing will just not work!  I also updated all of the "recommended" updates which was total crap, half of the apps/drivers, etc, I had newer versions and the other half was for hardware, modems, etc I don't even have?!  In addition to more useless tools/bloatware?!!!  So I had to "clean-up" my machine, and now have dupes of USB root,  thank you Dell NOT!!!!   I am running 7

3.3K Posts

Hi llubrano,

Thank you for providing the update. I sincerely apologize for the many technical troubles you have experienced with your Dell computer.

Check if the webcam is detected in Device manager.

• Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Check if webcam is detected under imaging device.

Also, run diagnostics on webcam.

http://dell.to/TjfHhO

Under component select camera and click on Run diagnostics.

Awaiting your response!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

llubrano,

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the drivers in the correct order? How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Windows 7/8 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers for most Dell computers. If you system needs webcam drivers, go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag, then select your operating system. If your system needs webcam drivers, they'll be listed under Input.

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

You can try this file, also known as Dell Webcam Central.

Create a new unrestricted user account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If yes, log out and log back in to your account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If no, then the webcam became detached from the motherboard, usually near the webcam

If your computer is under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support

Rick

1 Message

February 2nd, 2013 23:00

Same problem here also.  No camera devices are shown in Device Manager and when i did the diagnostic it says "A diagnostic category was specified and the applicable device does not exist." Please help. My laptop is not in warranty.

No Events found!