Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

September 27th, 2004 10:00

Pointer Mouse keeps moving by itself

Can anyone help?

I have tried to search for a driver update (Dell and Windows), but cannot find any updates.

Any quick response would be appreciated as its driving me crazy.......................

Thanks!

CJ 

3.1K Posts

September 27th, 2004 13:00

CJ,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Please attempt the following:

1. Remove the system from the docking station, if applicable.
  2. Determine if there have been any recent hardware or software configuration changes.
  3. Disconnect external peripherals.
  4. Upgrade to or reinstall the latest touchpad drivers.
  5. Flash / Upgrade the BIOS.
  6. Change the sensitivity settings for the pointing device.
  7. Apply pressure to the right of the touchpad.
  8. Disable the touch-pad.
    • Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    • Double-click the Mouse icon.
    • The Mouse Properties window appears.
    • Click the Device Settings tab.
    • Click to highlight Pointing Stick and click Disable.
    • Click OK.

Further troubleshooting ideas can be found in this knowledgebase article.

One more idea, often third-party mouse drivers can cause performance issues with the system's touchpad. If you are using an external mouse and it requires additional drivers, I would suspect that these drivers are likely conflicting with those for the touch-pad. You should remove the drivers for both pointing devices and then reinstall those for the mouse that you wish to use.

September 27th, 2004 14:00

Bob

Thanks for your quick reply!

I have updated the Flash / Upgrade the BIOS and installed the latest touchpad drivers.

The cursor is still thinking for itself and moving slowly around the screen. I have disabled the touchpad and with the pointing stick enabled there's no difference yet.

Do you have any further suggestions?

Thanks

CJ

1.2K Posts

September 28th, 2004 02:00

If you've updated the bios and loaded the latest drivers, chances are its a hardware fault. Have you tried disabling the touchstick and enabling the touchpad? I suggest it may need the keyboard/palmrest replaced.

September 28th, 2004 06:00

Thanks! done that and seems to have stop moving by itself.

I never use the touchstick anyway, so I'll not miss it

Cheers!

CJ

1 Message

September 26th, 2015 10:00

I have a dell seems many complaining curser moves on Dell. I have had this issue since buying a Dell. Its been sent back over 6 times in a year. Warrenty is up and its still moving all over. It was like that new and now warrenty is off they never ever fixed it. I hate dell its the computer from ***!!!!!!!!!!! 

No Events found!