Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

January 26th, 2009 13:00

Screen of Death - Broadcom ASF IP and SMBIOS Mailbox Monitor

Hi, Please can you help me?

I have a M4300 and suffer from quite a few screens of death on checking the event viewer the majority of them seem to be linked to:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Broadcom ASF IP and SMBIOS Mailbox Monitor ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: !ERROR 53 Refreshing BMAPI data.

Can anyone help me to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance

5 Posts

March 24th, 2010 08:00

I have had, and am having, this same problem, but on an Optiplex 740. Some documents I've found on the web immediately assume there is a malware issue, but IIRC the last time I saw this it was a driver issue. Another possible cause may be if you have your NIC set to "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power". From Broadcom's technical documents. Error 53 means "service control manager is locked" -- not sure what this implies though.

"A Windows Service utility that detects changes to the NIC's IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway and updates this information in the ASF-enabled NIC."

After some more hunting around, I think it's caused by either the Broadcom driver and/or Management Utilities being outdated, or the NIC being asleep, or both.

No Events found!