Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 16th, 2011 03:00

Service tag not recognized and missing backlit keyboard

I placed an order for a Dell XPS 15 on Oct 9th.  It shipped a couple of days later and I received it yesterday.  I noticed that the keyboard was not backlit as I had expected.  I tried to chat online with support person but the website does not recognize my asset tag.  It gives me the following message:

"Our records indicate that your service tag belongs to a system that was purchased outside the United States. "

And would not let me proceed.  I googled this message and it seems that plenty of other people get the same message for computers purchased from Dell US.  I purchased my system from Dell's US website for a brand new XPS 15.  It was not an outlet order.  It was shipped from California to Oregon.

Why is Dell telling their customers that their products were purchased outside the US, when that clearly is not the case, and then refusing to connect them to support?  And what do I have to do to correct the missing backlit keyboard option? 

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 16th, 2011 04:00

You'll need to call Dell Customer Service.

I was hoping to avoid the phone (long hold and what not), but I may not have another alternative.

As my original post mentioned, it was purchased directly from Dell's website.  

And I did purchase the backlit keyboard option.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

If the system wasn't purchased direct from Dell, it needs to be registered:

www.dell.com/.../retail

As for the backlit keyboard, did you purchase that extra-cost option?

4 Posts

October 16th, 2011 16:00

i have the same issue as you on the service tag department. as for the backlit option, you should be able to turn it on/off in the windows mobility center

No Events found!