Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 27th, 2013 15:00

Studio 1737 AC Adapter stops working when plugged in laptop jack

This issue started a month or so ago. Our original Dell AC adapter began not charging/power our laptop intermittently. I assumed it was the wiring going bad and some of the wires were becoming exposed from the DC jack end. I bought a new Dell AC adapter and thought my troubles were over but not to be.

When the new adapter is plugged into the wall, the blue light on the DC end lights up, so I know it's getting power. As soon as it's plugged into the laptop, the blue light goes out and the little whit light on the laptop, near the jack, never comes on to show it's charging.

So now, I thought maybe I needed a new battery. Purchased a new Dell battery and still the same problem.

After reading up a bit on similar problems from other Dell Studio users, I next went and bought a DC jack daughter board. After installing it, same problem.

I then tried to upgrade the BIOS but it says AC adapter required to update, even when I have it plugged in. The new battery I bought is just about out of charge and I have no way of recharging it.  Is there a way to flash the BIOS without the AC adapter? If that does not work, does that mean I need a new MB? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 27th, 2013 16:00

A BIOS flash won't help -- the mainboard has a short in it, and will need to be replaced.

No Events found!