Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2013 03:00

Studio 1737 not booting, no display

Hi, Appreciate anyone that can help with this. My Studio 1737 is slightly over 4 years old. Today, whilst i was using it, it switched off on its own. I rebooted it and seems fine, but after i use it for 5 mins...the screen was all messed up and system froze. On rebooting again, the lights above the keyboard lights up right to left, left to right, etc... i hear the dvd player is moving and then no display on screen. PC seems to be on with the hard disk light flashing once per second, no other sound. No display. Tried various tests like removing the battery (laptop removed using adapter power only and took out lithium battery inside to drain charge before putting it back in), tried the hold "D" key whilst switching it on (i see red, green and blue display etc). But after that, turns black and no display. Have also tried plugging in HDMI cable from laptop to TV, i assume nothing else needs to be pressed on laptop for screen to show on TV... nothing is showing. What is wrong? Is the motherboard dead? Thanks.

April 21st, 2013 03:00

I also have a DVD inside the DVD player that would not eject when pressing the DVD button, so even without the display, it seems the PC did not boot fully, else the DVD shall eject.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

April 21st, 2013 04:00

Hi StudioUser11,

Thank you for the trouble shooting steps tried. I request you to shut the system down, press and hold the Fn key and power on the system.  This will launch diagnostics and run test on all hardware components of the system which may take around 5 minutes. Reply with the status to assist you further.

April 21st, 2013 05:00

Thanks for your suggestion, i tried doing that, but seems no difference from before.

As the display is not on and no HDMI display on TV either, i cannot tell whether diagnostics is running... am guessing not... but cannot tell.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

April 22nd, 2013 09:00

Hi StudioUser11,

Thank you for the update. I would like to know the status of the LED of the media buttons at start up. For example the first button may blink and other two stay steady green, or all the three may be blinking, or one of them may be off, and remaining two may be blinking or may be steady.

This will help me in isolating the issue or the faulty part

April 22nd, 2013 17:00

On start up, the media buttons flashes on from the first button on the right, in sequence to the left, and then from the leftmost in sequence back to the right most. i.e. same as what happens when there were no issues. After that, the lights are off unless i press them.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

April 23rd, 2013 11:00

Hi StudioUser11,

Thank you for the update. I suggest that you remove the memory from both the slots, insert one memory module at a time and try powering on the system. Try both the slots to test both the memories. Please find the link below for the system service manual:

http://bit.ly/ZzvGIv 

I also recommend you to remove the hard drive and check the status. Please reply with the status to help you further.

April 24th, 2013 07:00

Hi Sujatha,

The removal of the RAM have solved the problem. Thanks very much.

I have 2 x 2G Dual-channel DDR2 SDRAM (according to the DELL invoice) and each is placed in a different slot. After trying various combinations (e.g. 1 piece in 1 slot; 2 piece in each slot and vice versa, etc), I believe its due to the failure of one piece of the RAM. The other piece works fine in either slot on its own.

Now that the problem is found, I have some more questions... if I want to buy a replacement piece, what is the largest size SDRAM that my Studio 1737 can take and which type? Any issues if mixed with the old piece as states above (i.e. new piece in one slot, old working piece in the other)?

Thanks for your help!

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

April 24th, 2013 09:00

Hi StudioUser11,

This system supports maximum of 8 GB memory. (8 GB memory is supported by 64 bit Operating system only). Since it supports dual-channel DDR2 SDRAM, memory modules must be installed as a perfectly matched pair to take advantage of the dual-channel memory bus. Since you have 2GB in each slot, if you want to upgrade the memory size, the configuration you can have is as follows:

Slot A

Slot B

Total Memory

512 MB

512 MB

1024 MB

1024 MB

None

1024 MB

1024 MB

512 MB

1536 MB