Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2012 08:00

Touchpad does not respond while typing

Hello,

I recieved my Inspiron 5520 today and as I tried to play a game on the computer I found out the thouchpad stops working while using the keyboard and for about a second or two after the type as well.

I have already updated my driver and it continues, I've also checked for any relative option both in the Dell Touchpad program and in Windows mouse options with no success. During that time I've also tried a few more buttons and I found out the Ctrl, Shift and Alt buttons are about the only ones that do not affect the touchpad.

Please assist me in resolving that major problem,

Yahav

113 Posts

August 16th, 2012 09:00

Hi Yahav,

Please download and update the BIOS of the laptop from the link below.

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-15r-5520

NOTE: Please ensure that all the open files are saved and closed before updating the BIOS and drivers. Connect the Battery and the AC Adaptor while updating the BIOS.

 Click the link; download the file to the desktop.

 Double click on the downloaded file and click “Run”.

 Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

The laptop would restart automatically after the BIOS update.

Please download and install the Chipset driver from the link below.

Perform similar steps as in BIOS update to install the drivers.

Download and install the Touchpad driver from the link below.

Please restart the computer after the installation of the drivers.

To change the touchpad settings,

1. Click Start  ->Control Panel->Hardware and Sound.

2. Double Click Dell Touchpad to open the application.

3. This application has the options to configure Sensitivity, Buttons, Scroll and Zoom and Gestures.

Please change the Touchpad settings to default in the settings window. It might also help in resolving the issue.

Please post back the results.

6 Posts

August 16th, 2012 12:00

In case this was supposed to install a new Dell Touchpad program it did not, seems I already had these drivers, the Dell Touchpad program does not offer me an option to enable/disable the touchpad while typing, my problem repeats.

113 Posts

August 17th, 2012 14:00

Hi,

Press + to enable or disable the touchpad. An indicator LED lights up just above the touchpad once it has been disabled.

Alternatively,

• Click Start ->Control Panel->Hardware and Sound.
  • Double click Dell Touchpad and disable on the application window by clicking Touchpad On/Off

Please post back if this helps.

6 Posts

August 17th, 2012 18:00

The touchpad is fully operational while I'm not using the keyboard, this doesn't help me.

113 Posts

August 21st, 2012 10:00

Hi,

The issue could happen if the Touch Guard in the Touchpad settings is turned ON. This option will not let the touchpad respond for about 2-3 seconds while using the keyboard to avoid the erratic movement of the cursor if the Touchpad is accidentally touched.

Please Uncheck “Turn on” option which is beside the Palm Tracking. 

6 Posts

August 21st, 2012 13:00

I thought that option may relate to my problem so I have already unchecked the "Turn On" option, the touchpad still won't respond while using the keyboard.

113 Posts

August 24th, 2012 05:00

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Please connect a USB mouse and check if there is any time lag with it while working on the keyboard.

1 Message

August 24th, 2012 05:00

Hey, i may not be the dell support guy but i have the same problem too. as i was thinking last night, i got the idea of using a mouse because it is the touch pad that is disabled when typing but not the mouse? so i tested it out and the mouse moves while typing. i may have not fixed your initial problem but this shall be a temporary solution until then. so have fun playing League of Legends (me) or whatever game you wanted to play. <3

6 Posts

August 24th, 2012 11:00

This is actually what I've been doing up to now, yet I prefer using the touchpad over a mouse.

6 Posts

August 24th, 2012 11:00

Thankfully a USB mouse doesn't stop working during keyboard usage, that's how I've been using the computer since I got it.

113 Posts

August 26th, 2012 03:00

Hi,

I would request you to private message me the system service tag. To private message accept my friend request; click on my user name and click start conversation. 

I will let you know what further troubleshooting can be done.

2 Posts

September 10th, 2012 15:00

i am also having the same problem i have tried installing different drivers but that just causes me not to be able to turn off tap to click so im hoping there is a solution for this one so i can use the touch pad and keyboard at same time otherwise any games are pointless on my 15r 5520

2 Posts

September 11th, 2012 11:00

my problem is the reverse. I want to turn off the touchpad so i can use mouse only.   My< FN> + tab does not work.  I have also gone thru control panel mouse.  I downloaded the new driver and the problem still isn't fixed.

Help

2 Posts

September 12th, 2012 08:00

@ nalani13 just go into dell touchpad and turn it off there ive done it on accident trying to fix my problem

September 23rd, 2012 07:00

My New Inspiron 15 (N5050) has the same issue.

Keyboard and touch pad work fine.  But touch pad will stop working when keyboard is in use.  Can't find a way to disable this anywhere in the menus.

No fix for this besides using USB mouse?

No Events found!