Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

May 13th, 2007 17:00

USB Ports not working after memory upgrade on Inspiron 600M

Hello,

I recently upgraded my 600M with XP Home from 2 @256k to 2 chips @ 1 GB memory.  When I first booted after installing the new chips, the computer recognized the new memory and everything  worked fine.

26 hours later, there was a message on the screen indicating memory error at 'such and such address' during 'such and such process'.  I rebooted several time and similar errors occurred.  I ran the hardware diagnostics which indicated problems with DIMM A.  I replaced the new 1GB chip with the previous 256k chip. 

Now, I do not get memory errors, however, my 2 USB ports do not work.  The computer thinks there are new USB ports and tries to instill 4 USB controllers.  Each install errors with:

For USB controller 1, "  PCI Bus 0 , device 29, function 0   The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver." 

For USB controller 2, its function 1
For USB controller 3, its function 2
For USB controller 4, its function 7

When I do to Device Manager, it can not find the device drivers.

I have read through several of the USB-related posts and followed their suggestions without success.  I have removed the USB controllers, then rebooted.  Upon boot up, the system recognizes new HW, reinstalls the USB controllers, but does not find the drivers.

Q1:  any ideas on how to get the usb ports working?

Q2:  Do you think the memory failure caused a hardware or software failure to the USB Controllers or ports?

Q3:  DO you think a PCMCIA card w USB ports would work if I cannot get the onboard USBs to work?

TIA,

Larry
No Responses!
No Events found!